Skip to main content

Workout Wednesday - Crazy 8's HIIT Workout

Lately I've been breaking my weight lifting down to short splits - maybe even only working one muscle group a day. This allows me time to get it done during lunch and also to really focus on that particular muscle group.

My cardio has typically been very much steady state aerobic with running and cycling. Since my weight workouts have been short, I thought it might be fun to add in some good old anaerobic or metabolic circuit training - often thought of as HIIT (high intensity interval training).

HIIT workouts are bouts of high intensity work followed by short rests. The benefit is that they can be "fun," they're short, and they offer a longer EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption), which is translated into continued calorie burn.

During EPOC, oxygen is used to restore the body back to its resting state, replenish fuel stores, oxidize lactic acid and fuel the body's increased metabolism. During this period, there is an elevated consumption of fuel. Free fatty acids are released into the blood stream as a result of exercise breaking down fat stores and converting to free fatty acids. During EPOC, the free fatty acids are used as fuel.

While you might burn more calories during an aerobic workout, the EPOC declines quickly. Whereas you might have a lower calorie burn during an anaerobic workout, the EPOC lasts longer and you continue to burn calories for a longer period after the workout has ended. Therefore, you can achieve similar results with shorter workouts.

HIIT workouts are also great for building endurance. As a runner, I'm all about endurance as well as speed. And I think HIIT workouts can be a fantastic accompaniment to any running training you're doing.

Tuesday, after my shoulder workout, I decided to do a few rounds of a HIIT workout, however, I didn't have my phone with me to use as a timer. Hence my Crazy 8's Workout was born. No timer needed, and if you don't have a kettlebell, you can do tuck jumps or pushups for an equipment-free workout.


Always warm up with a 10 minute brisk walk and/or dynamic moves. Dynamic moves can include butt kicks, high knees, jumping jacks, bodyweight squats, arm swings, and/or alternating lunges.

For this workout, do each exercise for 8 reps* moving quickly to the next exercise. Once you complete all 8 exercises, rest 40-60 seconds and repeat as many times as you like.

* For lateral moves, high knee jogs, scissor lunges, 1 right and 1 left = 1 rep.

Video Examples:

Squat jumps
Kettlebell swings
Burpees with pushups
Lateral speed skaters (no band necessary)
High knee jog
Scissor lunges
Lateral ski hops
Plie jacks


Do you ever incorporate short HIIT workouts after a weight training session?

Comments

  1. Heather, this is great! Thank you for the background information and the workout; I have been really lazy lately, in terms of doing anything OTHER than running, and I think it would definitely benefit me to to make time for this. Appreciate your knowledge and expertise!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.