Skip to main content

It's Raining, It's Pouring .. I'm Running

Do you  ever have those moments when you think, "I must be flat out crazy."? This morning was one of those moments. I had planned on running 6-7 miles. I watched the weather, I'm a runner and that's what we do after all right? The forecast was for 30% chance of rain around the time I was planning on heading out. 

When I got out of bed, however, it was pouring. Not just a little bit of rain, but absolute downpour. I decided to go check the radar in hopes that it would be passing quickly. But it was coming down in buckets and the radar wasn't showing me what I wanted to see. 

I decided I'd just get on the bike trainer, reluctantly of course as this was not my plan. I ran out of free Amazon Prime episodes of Parenthood and started trying to watch Friday Night LIghts. Totally not doing the job for distracting me by the way. So, changed into bike shorts, my cycling shoes and tried to pull up the show. Annnddddd cue internet outage. 

There was no Plan C. It was too late to try to go back to bed. I was quite miffed to say the least. How dare the rain ruin my running plans like this. I decided to do what any insane runner would do, head out for a run. 

There was no avoiding puddles and wet feet. I hit a puddle almost immediately. Squish, squish, squish goes my shoes. I had to giggle at myself honestly. I would have taken pictures of the water gushing out of rain spouts if it wouldn't have ruined my phone. 

I had a route sort of in my head. I thought if I went one particular direction, the puddling in the roads wouldn't be as bad. I was very wrong about that plan. Splash splash splash. My watched buzzed at mile 1, I glanced down and noticed that the face had gone gray. There was nothing displayed. Uh oh. 

I stopped it and tried pushing buttons randomly. Nothing, nada. I pushed start again and it buzzed at me like it had started. I stopped and it buzzed again like it stopped. Hmmm … hoping I had done it correctly, I hit what I hoped was start again and took off. Luckily, it kept up with my miles so I just had to pay attention to how many times it buzzed at me. 

I was ok not knowing my pace, however, I think I was running too fast, sort of willy nilly because I was clueless. The other problem with not being able to actually see the miles was knowing which way to go so I wasn't too far from the house OR too close to where I would have to keep circling the block or something silly waiting impatiently for it to buzz.

Luckily, I am more than familiar with various routes and had a vague idea of distances. But that meant I had to be mentally paying attention to where I was, how many blocks I had gone or had left to go to get to a particular point. I guess that helped distract me from the sudden chafing thanks so soaked shorts. Oh, and singing, "It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring ... " for about 2 miles also distracted me, and made me laugh at myself. I'm sure I looked like a total lunatic running, grinning, laughing, singing ... in the rain


On the upside, I never got hot today. Stubborn, crazy? I'll let you make the call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.