Skip to main content

Fun For Friday - Getting Old Gift List

Happy Friday! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I know that we did. It started off on Christmas Eve Day for us. We headed to our hometown to for lunch with my mom, her husband, my sister and her kids. I'll talk about some of the food I made later - a vegan "ham", coconut maple carrots from a new cookbook, and gluten-free Irish soda bread.

We had a great time, and the weather was beautiful, sunny, 50 degrees. One funny before I move along, my sister and I have always felt we just should have been twins. We are 3 years apart, but most people think we're the same age. We have very similar mannerisms even if we don't look much alike.

Well, this year when the gifts were being passed around, I handed Sarah her gift bag from me. She started laughing hysterically and pointed out my gift bag from her.

Yep, same gift bags. And similar gifts. She got me a new beach bag with my initial and I got her a new work bag. Great minds?

Anyway, after mom's it was off to my dad's house. My sister, niece and I took a stroll since the weather was so nice. We had our traditional dinner, you know, spaghetti and meatballs ;-) Dad actually makes some sauce sans meat for me and makes Sarah some gluten-free meatballs.

Then it was on to the gifts. It's such a joy watching the kids get so excited. "A" started opening one package and got a brief glimpse of color and started saying, "I'm not panicking, I'm not panicking." "Ok, I'm panicking" as she squealed in delight over something from Justice.

The opening of gifts got me thinking about how different it is getting gifts as an adult. You're wish list changes and you get excited over things you would have probably cried about getting as a kid, like socks or underwear. Now? Those things are pretty darn cool. I thought it'd be fun to share my list of "You know you're getting old when" gift list for Fun for Friday.

You know you're getting old when ...

You get excited over containers. I couldn't wait to get home and fill up my new Oxo Good Grips square containers. They really do fit in the cabinets much better than my round containers.

You're happy to get underwear. Oh, and not just any underwear either, but briefs to wear under your running tights. Some husbands shop Victoria's Secret, min shops Asics for these Asics Underwear
You're happy to get socks. I'm loving these Feetures Merino Wool socks. Most of my running socks are low cut, but I have some tights with zippers (bad bad idea). So I really needed a pair of higher socks to prevent the zipper from cutting into my skin. These socks are super comfortable and warm.

You're happy to get a thong. Again, not Victoria's Secret and not flip flops. This is a CycleOps Bike Thong/Sweat Guard. I tested it out Thursday and filled one pocket with my cell phone and the other with a handful of tissues.

You're excited to get lights. Jason got me lights to go on my bike. I've been caught at dusk twice, wishing I had lights. Now I don't have to worry about that again.

Not all gifts were of this nature, I did get a Kindle Fire, gift cards, a nice hat my mom made, a pretty scarf, the beach bag, and more. But it really is funny how your perspective on what's cool to get changes isn't it?

What are some of your "you know you're getting old when" gifts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.