Skip to main content

Benefits of Working Out with Spouse or Friend

I posted this picture on Instagram after our 21-mile ride last night. And it sort of got me to thinking about how lucky I am that my spouse does exercise and we can work out together.
Poor Jason had to duck down to take this so I didn't cut his head off
When we belonged to a gym, we would sometimes go up there together. Maybe do spin class together. We never did weights together though. When I first started running outside, we always ran together. But now? Maybe once a week for 3-4 miles.

We do ride together. I'm not brave enough to venture out on my own yet. And, I enjoy the time we do spend together biking. Even though we don't talk much, it's just nice being together, enjoying the outdoors, enjoying life really. 

I know that many people don't have the luxury of working out with their significant others. So, I try not to take it for granted that Jason will get out there with me, sometimes begrudgingly mind you ;-) He's not usually so eager to jump out of bed at 5:15 am and hit the pavement full force. That's ok. We need our own workout times too. 

Whether you work out with your spouse, significant other, or a good friend, I think there are some positive benefits. And of course there are benefits to working out solo as well, but today we'll focus on the benefits of having a partner in crime. 

1. Quality TIme: It gives you time to spend together that you might not get otherwise in our busy, overly hectic lives.

2. Encouragement: It really helps having someone who knows you well there to give you encouragement during a really hard (physically or mentally) run, ride, weight session.

3. Accountability: Working out with someone else makes it a lot harder to slack off or back out of it.

4. Motivation: Knowing you've got someone to chat with can give you something to look forward to.

5. Challenge: Having a workout partner can also give you a challenge, they may force you to run or ride faster than you give yourself credit for or lift heavier.

6. Safety: Plain and simple, having someone running or riding with you makes it safer or when lifting weights, they can spot you. 

Do you work out with your significant other or best buddy? What pros would you add to the list? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.