Skip to main content

Hot Running & Being Southern but Not

Happy Happy Friday. It's been a long, tiring week for me. Just busy all the way around and a little hectic too. You know, life. Yesterday I took a much needed rest day from workouts and spent part of the evening working on my ISSA personal trainer certification exam.

We ended up grilling out despite the fact that it was literally 100 degrees out (that's without heat index mind you). The recipe turned out far better than I had expected and I'll share it with you for Tasty Tuesday. As a tease, if you like lime and tequila, you'll want to keep an eye out for this one ;-)

This morning my plan was to get in a couple of miles before meeting Amy for a run. I was planning on waking up around 5:15. Instead I woke up promptly at 4:45. Ugh. I knew it was going to be a hot run. The "low" was 80 degrees. Is that even really a low? Sadly, I guess so when it's 20 degrees cooler than the day had been.

I still wasn't prepared for the smack in the face humidity and warmth when I stepped out the door at 5:45. It was 82 degrees and the air was thick and soupy and there was no wind to speak of. But, I had a rundate planned, I was already out there, so suck it up buttercup.

The run was hard. It was HOT. And it would have been miserable had it not almost been laughable. At least I had great company and we did stop twice to soak in some sprinklers. I'm sure we were quite the sight. In fact, I have to chuckle thinking about it even. In the end, I eked out 8 miles then jumped in the swimming pool, which now feels like bathwater. Sigh.


Anyway, on to more fun things. It is Fun for Friday after all! This sort of came to me during my run. I think I was hallucinating at some points this morning. But I started thinking about living in the south and what it means.

It's definitely a unique culture down here. People do move slower. And it makes sense. Trust me, you'd move slow too if it was 100 degrees (110-115 with the heat index). Seriously, all you want to do is take off your shoes, wear as little amount of clothing as possible and sit in front of a fan.

But there are some connotations with being southern. Like saying "Y'all" or loving country music. It's funny because I'm definitely a Southern Girl, but not at the same time. Let me explain:

I'm Southern Because:
  • I love the heat (except for running), 70 degrees is usually chilly
  • I do actually own 1 pair of real cowgirl boots but almost never wear them
  • I love love corn on the cob (is that really just a southern thing though?)
  • I have gone muddin' (google if you must)
  • I love old Jeeps - not the preppy Grand Cherokee, give me an old school CJ7
  • I actually did live in a trailer park with my cousin one year of college

But I'm Sort of Not Because:
  • I don't like country music
  • I don't like guys in pickup trucks
  • Chewing tobacco is the biggest turn off
  • I don't say "Y'all"
  • I've never had collard greens
  • I don't like sweet potato pie
  • I don't like fried foods
  • I don't recall having grits, but surely I have at least once
  • No hunting for me, so no camo either

 So, how are you like or not like people in your region, you know the stereotypes. And, how hot is too hot for a run?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.