Skip to main content

Great Weekend to be Outside - Running, Riding, Falling

We finally had a weekend that was full of gorgeous weather. Not just one day, but both days. It wasn't too warm, either, so it actually felt like spring.

Jason decided to run with me Saturday morning. He's not been running much, so he was going for 5 miles. I planned on getting in another 3 after he dropped off at the house. I ended going for another 5 though. My first double-digit run since my half marathon (aka foot blow out) on March 3.

It was one of those run-all-day kind of runs. Everything was just clicking and it felt great. My foot held up as well, so that made me feel incredibly accomplished. After the run, I decided to do a little yard work in the form of trimming hedges. Holy back pain. Running 10 miles then trimming hedges is probably not the smartest move.

But, I rewarded myself for all my hard work of course! We hit up Pizza Cafe for pizza and to enjoy their nice patio. Perfect spot for relaxing and just enjoying the fresh air.
Pizza Cafe - Awesome pizza and patio


After lunch, we decided to take the dogs over to a new dog park that's right near our house. Actually, it's the park I run through every week. It's really a nice area. They've done a great deal of work recently to make it nicer for everyone. There is a pont where people fish, a playground for kids, and now this new dog park.








The evil goose
I think the dogs had a nice time. It's really fun to watch Heath out running around, not a care in the world. I don't think he realizes he's blind or sick!

Sunday morning we decided to pull my bike off the trainer and go out for a ride. This would be my 3rd time on my bike out on the roads. I was a little nervous, but also looking forward to it.

It was intermittent clouds, which helped keep the temps down. We road out towards a park where I used to go in order to get in my long runs. It's amazing how much faster that trail goes by on a bike ;-) The return was sort of a bummer though. We were hitting major headwinds all the way home. So not only getting tired from having been riding for over an hour, but now having to work even hard against the winds and hills.

We were about a mile from the house, and I got stuck in between some trolley tracks. There was a car behind us, or I would have just stopped and gotten off my bike. I'm still not really adept at sharp turns and such. Jason said I'd have to cut it really hard to get over the tracks. He'd warned me about getting my tire stuck in them back on our very first ride. So I've had this nagging fear of them.

And here I am stuck, with a car behind me clearly ticked that I was in his way. He kept edging up really close, at one point tried to pass in a turn-only lane. So I went for it and also went down. Thankfully, I caught myself so no open wounds. That was the first thing I looked for - blood.

Then my next though was how pissed I was at myself and at the guy in the car who zoomed past me as I was laying in the road. Yep, didn't stop to check on me, nothing. He drove up less than a block and stopped in front of  a hotel and let the valet guy take his car. I sure hope karma bites him soon. Maybe someone will key his precious vehicle.

Anyway, 27.85 miles and my first fall, oh, and a severely bruised ego. All in a day's work right?

How was your weekend? Were you able to be outside and enjoy some nice weather?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.