Skip to main content

BostonStrongLR - Little Rock Honoring Boston

I guess this is one of those non-normal weeks for posting. I think everyone is sort of feeling that too. So, rather than a typical Fun For (or Facts) Friday, I want to just mention something I will be a part of on Monday. Maybe mentioning it will inspire you to participate as well. I have a feeling so many of you are already planning to be a part of this.
 
I can't say enough how inspiring Brian (Mr. Pavement Runner) is. He's always so upbeat, enthusiastic. He's also an amazing runner tackling one major race after another. He's a proud father and loving husband. And if you don't read his blog, you should.

Oh, and he's done it again. Brian suggested a fantastic idea, one that is really catching on too - A Boston Run in Your City. The events are all happening on Monday, April 22. And, basically, the idea is that each city unites runners to all run together in tribute/honor/memory of Boston, one week after the horrible tragedy.

Brian says:

I’m organizing a global event: #BostonStrong

A run for us to unite and show our strength.
A run for those that were unable to finish.
A run for those that may never run again.
A run for us to try and make sense of the tragedy that has forever changed something we love.

Immediately I knew this was going to catch on and be something amazing. I'm not sure if Brian fully understood this when he wrote his post. Maybe he did. He has to be so proud. I know I am.

I shared his idea with a local runners' group I belong to on Facebook just to see if anyone would be interested. I had no idea how to best approach setting something like this up, or setting it into motion. So I was hoping for some ideas, thoughts, chit-chat perhaps. But all I had to do was put the idea out there. It was openly received immediately, and now it's officially happening.

Of course I knew the runners in the community would all be eager to show their support and solidarity. But I didn't realize how quickly it would all come together. It's exciting, it's awesome. And it's just another amazing show of respect and tribute. Humbling in so many ways. Again, I'm just so amazed and inspired by the running community, not just locally, but globally.

Are you participating in this even in your city? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.