Skip to main content

Work it Out Wednesday - Tabata Legs

This is something I've never really done before. I mean, I've talked about my workouts here and there, listed out the weight workout and miles run. But I've never really dedicated an entire post to a specific workout and the reasoning behind that workout. I thought I might start doing a Work it Out Wednesday when I come up with a new workout for myself.

I am NOT a certified personal trainer or group instructor. I read a lot, I've done endless hours of DVD workouts, I gather inspiration, and I try to learn from all of it. I don't put together workouts for others, just for myself. But I thought I might share this one and my reasons for it.

Right now my only cardio option is really being allowed to run. I'm not supposed to be doing weights because heavy lifting causes micro tears that, if were too bad and in or near a joint, could bleed out, causing permanent joint damage due to the Xarelto.

I've been trying to come up with workouts that I could do that would still engage muscles though. I don't want to be a cardio queen and lose all of my muscle mass. I've worked way too hard for that over the years.

I used to really love doing HIIT workouts, especially plyo for the legs. Yes, it's cardio, but it does engage your muscles in a unique way. (lots of paraphrasing here) According to the research I've read, plyo exercises can help increase both speed and power, which leads to muscular strength gains as you have to engage those muscle in order to acquire the speed, power, endurance.

Essentially plyo exercises require the muscles to rapidly stretch and shorten and this helps increase power, which can also help decrease the the force of impact on joints (I need that) as your muscles strengthen.

No, it's not quite the same as weight lifting and building up mass, but it'll have to do for now. And perhaps the plyo exercises can help my running as well.

I have a few Cathe DVDs for HIIT workouts. Some use the step, others just the floor. I don't really feel comfortable using the step right now for fear of fall on my face. I figured, exercises that I could do and control the depth of movement or intensity (lowering the impact) would be ideal, especially since I get fatigued and winded quickly.

This workout was inspired by this HIIT Your Legs Workout by SkinnyMs. I definitely need to be hitting my legs big time right about now! The original workout called for 5 moves done for 20 seconds each for a 5 minute workout.

I thought I would turn it into a tabata style workout (8 moves done for 20 seconds with a 10 second rest). Tabata is tough, but it goes by quickly. You don't have a lot of time to think about the torture you're inflicting upon yourself.


Video Examples:
4 Squat Flip
Reverse Lunge with a Front Kick
Squat Jacks
Burpees (with our without pushups)
Forward Backwards Bounds 
Squat jumps 

I plan on changing this up and doing Alternating Split Jumps in lieu of the lunge with front kicks and adding in Up Down Planks after the Squat Jumps as a variation.

I like the alternating lunges and the forward backwards bounds moves for stability. Burpees are a great all around move that really rev up the heart rate too. I might be the only person on earth who likes burpees.

Another great thing about this workout is that you don't need any weights to get a good burn in the legs and rear. If you wanted, however, you could easily add in light weights for the lunges with kicks or the squat flips.

Do you like putting together your own workouts? Where do you find inspiration? 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.