Skip to main content

Food Friday with Field Roast Soup

How about a Food Friday post today? Kind of switch things up a bit. I'm feeling sassy like that - or really it's just a lack of creativity if I'm honest. And I'm honest like that.

Last night I felt completely and totally wiped out. I don't know if it was from the amount of blood they had drawn or just the day itself dealing with the hematology appointment overload. Either way, I was pooped.

I really could have gone to bed at 7 and skipped dinner all together. And I am not one to skip any meal at all, ever!

Jason did me a big favor and made dinner. We had picked up some Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage "Sausage" Links from Whole Foods recently, and he had been wanting to use those for several days. Since he was cooking, I told him to go for it.

He ended up putting together a really amazing, richly flavorful soup. I thought I'd share one of his recipes for a change. He really is a good cook I must say. Of course, he did spend five years in the kitchen of the best French restaurants in town. I'm a lucky girl.

Vegan Smoked Apple Sage Sausage Soup
Ingredients:
1 package Field Roast Smoked Apple Sage Sausage Links, diced
1 small white onion, diced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
2 small zucchini, cubed
1 32 oz container no-salt vegetable broth
*Diced, roasted butternut squash (approximately half)

To taste: salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, white pepper, red pepper
1 1/2 tbsp tapioca flour mixed with water (options, helps to thicken soup)

Directions:
In a non-stick pan, brown the sausages and set aside.

In a large soup pot, saute onions, pepper, zucchini, and garlic until onion begins to soften then add spices and broth. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer and allow to cook 15-20 minutes. Then add in the butternut squash and sausages and tapioca flour mixture and re-season if needed. Allow the soup to cook another 10 minutes or until tapioca flour has slightly thickened the soup.

*I had roasted squash on hand, if you do not, add in the raw, cubed squash into the pot with the onions.
This turned out to be incredibly flavorful and hearty as well. Perfect soup for a cold evening. Lucky for me, I had some homemade ciabata bread on hand too.

Does your significant other ever take over in the kitchen for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.