Skip to main content

Cold Running & Things I Need Help With

Cold Running
Yesterday, my running partner and I had planned a rundate after work. Let me preface this story with the fact that it was sunny and 60 degrees on Wednesday, a day I did not run. Thursday was the opposite. It was overcast, gusting winds, and wind chills at 30 all day, dropping by the time we ran into the 20's. I know 20's aren't that cold for a lot of you, but in the South...brrrr

I won't lie, I was dreading that initial sting of the cold. You know that one when you first step outside and think, "What the hell am I doing?" It's that moment where you fight with your brain about the temperature. You're cold at first and you instinctively feel the need to rush back in and put on more layers.
Posted on Instagram:
This is my what am I doing it's too cold to run outside look
But your rational side sometimes prevails and forces you to just step away from the door and get moving. Thankfully I listened because I did almost end up hot, almost. I ran the mile to "A's" office then we ran around the downtown area near the river. Luckily, the route we took kept us mostly out of the gusting headwinds.

Sometimes I still get nervous running with "A," especially now since I never know how far I can go without having to stop. But somehow, we almost always setting quickly into a nice pace and even better conversation. Traffic downtown does mean we have to stop more frequently, so that does help me right now recover a bit without having totally stop and/or walk. But I think the talking also helps me focus elsewhere. 

All that to basically say that despite the cold, gloom, and wind, I had a really awesome 5.5 mile run.

Do you ever semi-dread a run or get nervous before a run? And temperatures? What's your cut off point?

Fun for Friday - Things I Need Help With
I almost did this list yesterday as a Thursday Things I Need Help With, but decided to save it for Fun for Friday instead. It's Friday and I think we all could use something light and slightly inane. So here is a list of things I need help with - links, suggestions, whatever you got.

Hemp seeds - just got a bag to try. Any tips, tricks or recipes you want to share?

Warm running socks - I have 2 pairs of bamboo/wool socks that now have holes in the toes. I haven't worn them "that" much. So any brands you recommend?

Heel caps - I end up knocking the heel caps off my shoes (I might run on my toes but walk on my heels). Has anyone ever bought heel caps and replaced them yourself?  

Though I have a rant about Steve Madden shoes - they fall apart! I have a pair of gray booties and the heels literally crumbled. Not sure if heel caps would even work on those shoes.

Low acidic recipes - I've started having some tummy issues that I believe are related to the Xarelto. I wanted to try some lower acid dishes to see if that might help.

Personal cert training - Ugh, overwhelmed with all the info. Any tips of advice on how to approach studying?

Ok, your turn, what's something you need help with?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.