Skip to main content

Bike Trainer Spin Workout

Working it Out
Yesterday I ended up going for a run after work. I wasn't feeling the best. Not sure how to explain it, almost nauseous but not quite, upper tummy area hurting. I was going to just play any workout by ear (or tummy as the case was).

My plan was just to see what I could do. I thought the fresh air might help make me feel better. And it actually did. It was a little chilly at the start, my thumbs were frozen, but the air felt great on my face. I did right at 3 miles. I was feeling so much better after the run, endorphins I'm sure, so I decided to take a little spin on my bike (on the trainer mind you).

I cranked up the music and got to it. I wasn't sure what my plan was going to be, just spin and play around with the gears or try out a trainer workout from Angela at Happy Fit Mama. I didn't write it down though, and ended up sort of making up my own workout. I think it was a pretty darn good one too and was happy to have her inspiration to make up my own workout.

This wasn't a long workout (36 minutes), but it was a good one - maximized my time with hills. My quads were talking to me and it most definitely got my heart rate up! If you wanted a longer workout, you could repeat the climb for a 3rd time. I will say that loud, upbeat music really helps too.

A few things to keep in mind:

  • You always want some tension on your wheel - never free spinning.
  • If you find yourself bouncing in the saddle, you're tension is probably too light.
  • For spin bikes, turn your knobs to achieve the tension you need - this might be a half turn or even a full turn. 
  • For bike trainers, use your own judgement with your gears (this was good practice for me learning gears). 
  • Everyone has their own level to work from, but make sure you're not taking the easy way, it's short, so work hard ;-)
  • Find some upbeat music and crank it up.
  • Most importantly, have fun!


I was a sweaty mess after this workout. I took time to recover and stretch out really well focussing on quads, hamstrings and glutes. I do suggest cooling down and stretching for at least 10 minutes after the workout.

Unfortunately, my sense of feeling good was short-lived. My tummy started bothering me again and I just wasn't feeling great. I had started the makings for a Thai Tofu and Veggie dish.

Jason kindly took over and finished it. I was in bed before 9 pm. I'm starting to be concerned of other side effects from the Xarelto and think I may end up going for a second opinion. I really wish I could find out more information or even a support group for Xarelto. But the usage for dissolving a clot, not just preventing, is so new I feel like I'm alone in this.

Way to Go Wednesday
Rather than ending on a down note, because that's no fun, I wanted to do a couple of shout outs for Way to Go Wednesday! And please, don't forget to share your shout outs for the week as well.

Laura at Sprint 2 the Table for completing her first adventure race!

Heather for not only completing the Goofy Challenge but doing so as a running coach.

Angela at Happy Fit Mama for inspiring me to create a spin workout.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.