Skip to main content

Cross-training, Minestrone Soup & Way to Go Wednesday

Cross-training and Minestrone 
Monday night I ended up running 4.5 miles. It was one of those much much needed runs. Not a matter of should I but I must. I really should have only done 3 miles, but I just kept going and finally just had to stop myself.

That meant today I really needed to not run. My plan was 8 miles. But in reality, I knew I needed to give my feet a break. In 3 days I had hit 19.5 miles. Time for some cross-training. I ended up doing legs and shoulders from Cathe's High Reps DVD. I've never tried that one. I really don't normally like high-rep workouts.

But, I needed something different, something to keep me on my toes so to speak. And man oh man did it ever. I always forget how high reps can sting big time when it's not the workout you're used to. I followed the workout up with Cathe's MMA Kickboxing DVD.

After all that, it was time to get down to the business of dinner. I was starved. The plan was soup for dinner since the temps have dropped (yet again). Based on what I had in the fridge, I ended up throwing together a Kale and Zucchini Minestrone.

Kale & Zucchini Minestrone 
Ingredients:
1/2 white onion, diced
2 tbsp minced garlic
3-4 carrots, peeled and diced
1 can no-salt diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 32 oz container no-salt vegetable broth
To taste: salt, pepper, parsley, basil, red chili pepper flakes, thyme
1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can red beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 package of green beans, chopped (a couple of handfuls)
1 bunch kale, cleaned, de-stemmed and chopped
1 zucchini, diced
2 oz pene pasta (or any shape you prefer)

Directions:
In a large soup pot, saute the onions, garlic, and carrots until onions begin to soften. Add in the tomatoes, broth, seasonings, nutritional yeast, and beans.

Allow to simmer for approximately 20 minutes. Add in the pasta and let simmer 10 minutes. Then add in the kale, zucchini, green beans, and pasta. Allow to continue to simmer until pasta is cooked and carrots are soft.

I served with Sarena's Chickpea Oat Flatbread. I made it with sundried tomatoes, parsley, oregano, and basil this time.

I really wasn't sure how this was going to turn out, but was pleasantly surprised. It definitely hit the spot and will definitely be something I make again. 


Way to Go Wednesday
Now, onto the important part of today's post - Way to Go Wednesday thumbs up and shout outs. I know I miss so many shout outs, so I do hope you all add them into the comments please!

Mr. Pavement Runner for getting an awesome 15-minute PR during the 2 Cities Marathon.

Laura (sprint2thetable) for competing in her first figure competition and taking 4th in Figure Class A. 

Madeline (Food, Fitness & Family) on her 3rd half marathon and PR!

Melissa for passing her personal trainer certification and following her dreams!

Kierston for rocking out her 3rd figure comp in as many weeks AND taking home 1st place in the Figure Medium/Tall Category plus 2nd in Bikini. You rock my friend!

Cherie for finishing her first half marathon. That deserves a high five too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.