Skip to main content

Running, Lazing, Switching up Weight Lifting

Running & Lazing 
This weekend was pretty low-key for us. Which, was fine by me actually. Saturday morning I got up and hit the pavement for a 6-mile run. It ended up being a pretty good run. Of course, after Friday's horrendous run, anything would seem "good."

It was really hot out, especially because the sun was blazing down on me. So when I got back to the house, I changed into a swimsuit and immediately jumped into the pool. Talk about the most refreshing, wonderful feeling.

I have been a little lax on stretching and rolling, so I did spend some extra time doing that after I got out of the pool. And then I decided to be lazy and get right back in the pool for some pool lounging time. Jason joined me.

We just floated around for a couple of hours before deciding to go out for lunch. We both agreed pizza sounded like it'd hit the spot, so pizza it was. The rest of the evening was pretty low-key. We played cards for a bit while listening to music. Made dinner then sat on the couch. Super exciting sounding huh ;-)

Sunday wasn't much different. I set out for 3 miles, but ended up doing 5 (putting me at 31 miles for the week, holy cow). It was just one of those runs that I didn't want to cut short. I was just out there, by myself, enjoying. I absolutely love it when that happens during a run.

Anyway, I decided to treat myself to another plunge into the pool post-run. Again, heaven. Such a wonderful feeling to jump in the water and have that immediate cooling effect, but also the near-weightless feeling for your arms and legs.

I was a little more productive Sunday at least. I did get laundry done, swept the floors and dusted. Then it was back into the pool for a bit. And then another late lunch just to get out of the house really. The rest of the day was super lazy. And sometimes lazy is just what you need.

How was your weekend? Did you get a chance to be a little bit lazy? 

Changing it Up
Today I ended up doing biceps and triceps. I am going to try out a new rep and set number. I've done a workout rotation with a similar set up, but it was done as full body.

The plan is to do an exercise with the heaviest weight as 4 sets of 6 reps. The next exercise will be 3 sets of 8 reps. The last exercise will be 2 sets of 10 reps (I may repeat next week and add one extra set of the last exercise depending on how it feels this week).

SS#1 - 4 x 6
Alternating curls
Double-arm overhead triceps extensions

SS#2 - 3 x 8
Hammer curls
Lying triceps extensions

SS#3 - 2 x 10
Preacher curls
Double-arm triceps kickbacks

So, for the experts, I'd love to hear some thoughts on this set up. I did high reps, low weights for about 2 weeks and while the change was nice, I'm definitely a low rep, high weight gal at heart. So is there a way to sort of combine the two?

Do you prefer one style vs the other? Or do you like to switch it up regularly?

Dinner tonight is yet to be decided. In all the laziness of the weekend, I skipped the grocery store. So it's time to get creative. But rather than leave you sans pictures, I'll share pics of my two crazy furbabies.

They got their hair cut today so they're super spiffy and shiny. Though Maddie doesn't seem to like her picture being taken so her head down was the best I could do.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.