Skip to main content

Another Morning Run & Veggie Tempeh Stack

Running & Lifting 
I don't know if it was the heat or what, I but I slept terribly last night. I just tossed and turned all night. And of course I wake up at 4:30 and then finally doze off fairly soundly to be rudely woken up by Jason's alarm for his morning master's swim class.

My alarm was set for about 5 minutes later, because I had planned on getting up to go for a 3.5-4 mile run. I almost always wake up when he gets up anyway. This morning I came incredibly close to saying forget the run, sleep is more important. Of course, I knew I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep for an hour.

So, I was up and out the door by 5:30. Again, our "low" was something like 84 degrees with the heat index. And this morning there was not even a breeze to help out. My first mile was pretty slow. I was totally ok with that. I was still waking up and questioning my sanity anyway.

Mile 2 felt a little better but my legs started feeling so heavy. I couldn't figure out what the deal was. It was too dark to really see my pace, so I assumed I must be trucking right along. Um....not so much. But what I had forgotten was that I had done legs yesterday. Huge "duh" moment right? Clearly I was not yet awake and had no business running.

I had planned on doing 3.5 miles and had another half mile route if I felt up to it. Even with heavy legs and heat, I actually felt pretty good running so I went for it and completed 4 miles.

At lunch I went home and did a quick workout for chest, back, and shoulders. Once again, I went with Cathe's Power Hour for more of a high-rep session. I think next week I might move back into my heavier weights or figure out some sort of mix of the two.

It has, however, been a surprisingly nice change doing some DVDs again. I feel like I learned everything I know about lifting from Cathe's workouts. Well, initially. I have definitely read my fair share of Oxygen and Muscle & Fitness Hers magazines over the years.

How did you get started with weights or learn about different exercises, lifting styles, techniques, etc?

Stacking Veggies
Jason and I are doing sort of a date night in tonight. Last week we went to the wine bar so this week we're staying in, making dinner and either watching a movie or playing a few games of pool perhaps.

I wanted dinner to be nice, but easy as well. So I did a Veggie Tempeh Stack with a Creamy Roasted Red Bell Pepper Sauce.

The sauce is basically just silken tofu blended with roasted red bell peppers, and seasonings of your choice. I do like to add in some sort of vinegar and often use almond milk to achieve the desired consistency. I love using silken tofu to make a "creamy" sauce. A cashew sauce works just as well.

For the veggies, I simply roasted squash, sweet potatoes, and green bell peppers. I sauteed the tempeh in some white wine and garlic to try to infuse it with more flavor (which worked wonderfully).
 
I then just layered the veggies and tempeh and served over a bed of mixed greens with the sauce.

Daily To-Enjoy List:
Morning run
Relaxing evening

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.