Skip to main content

Fun Facts Friday - You Know It's Hot When

10 Down
This morning the alarm went off way way too early. I didn't exactly sleep very well. I had Heath on my mind. But, I rolled out of bed at 5am and started to get myself ready for our planned long run.

I was hoping the temps would be lower with whatever this weird front situation is. But it was about 75 degrees, 90% humidity with dew point of 72. Again...soupy is the word of the day. I was sweating long before mile 1 was even complete.

My quads were heavy from the very start. Still insanely sore after Wednesday's leg day. I swear with every step they hurt. I kept hoping that once I settled into a rhythm they would ease up. Not so much the case today.

In the distance we notice some lightening. At first I thought I was just seeing lights reflecting off the cars. Maybe hallucinating, or still asleep. I was hoping that at some point we might get some rain for a bit of relief. But then I noticed the skies clearing in the other direction, the direction we were about to head.

We went down towards the river, crossed over the bridge at the Clinton Library then rain along the north side of the river before turning around and heading back. At 6.7 miles in we did spot a water spigot so we took that opportunity to get more water and take our GU before heading on.

Of course when you go over a bridge, it means you have to go over it again (or another one) to get back home. The return side is exactly .25 miles up before plaining out to head down. The total span is .45 miles. Good info to know right ;-) Ok, so I might be a bit OCD sometimes.

I actually felt better mentally with today's run vs last week's long run. But was frustrated with the slow speed. And I recognize that I shouldn't have been focused on that at all. It was about the distance not breaking speed records for myself. And honestly, going slower helped with my breathing tremendously not to mention my quads probably would have just stopped working had I tried to go faster.



So, 10 miles proudly tackled. And I was one sweat mess after.

Fun Facts Friday - You Know It's Hot
I actually started jotting down the "facts" for this post last week when it was in the triple digits. But, it still pertains to heat combined with humidity. In other words, still relevant even thought the temperatures are now "only" 90 degrees.

We've had kind of an odd summer. I mean, we're in the south and it gets hot. Really really hot. Got that part. Usually it's hot and humid. A non-humid day would be 50%. But this summer, the humidity started of really low. As in some days only 25-30%. That's flat out dry. So we had the heat, but not the typical humidity.

Then all the sudden the temps dropped 15 degrees but the humidity shot through the roof. So now we're back to the lowest being 65% and of course the bad stuff at 100%. Usually when it's soupy like that you expect rain or you're on the Gulf Coast.

So of course while running and sweating and praying for sprinklers or rain or something, I started thinking of the "you know it's hot when" scenarios.

You know it's hot (and humid) when:
  • You can literally wring out your shorts after a run.
  • You start to think that 90 degrees is a cold front (and it is).
  • You get 2nd degree burns from your car seat and gear shifter - and forget touching the steering wheel.
  • You start to think about running naked and realize no one would think you were crazy (ok maybe a little).
  • You run into a stranger's yard to just run your arm through their sprinkler.
  • Sprinklers are not even cooling actually.
  • It's too hot to go to the lake because the lake water is hotter than your bath water.
  • The tree and grass leaves are all one color - brown.
  • You start to brag about how hot it really is - it's 105 here, oh that's nothing it's 109 here (same goes with humidity).
  • Your brand new AC unit is on 75 and it's still 82 in the house.
  • You have multiple box fans around the house to help circulate the air - they become part of the decor.
  • You don't even need to turn on the propane to grill.
  • Even after a cold shower and the box fan propped up on the vanity blowing directly on  you as you get ready, you still can't stop sweating long enough to put on makeup, forget about drying your hair.
  • When it does start to sprinkle your husband asks you if it's really rain or if you're slinging sweat on him (how's that for love). 
So, how do you know when it's really hot (or humid)?

And - thank you for all your well-wishes for our Heath Man. At the time of this post, we still have not heard back from the vet. Really hoping to hear something soon though.

Daily To-Enjoy List
Morning run
Rain drops
It's Friday

Comments

  1. Haha your fun facts cracked me up! Glad its not that bad here :-)

    Great job getting the run done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha your fun facts cracked me up! Glad its not that bad here :-)

    Great job getting the run done!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.