Skip to main content

Fun Facts Friday - Running Quirks

Another 10
Last night I did not sleep well at all. Maybe I was slightly over-hydrating because I kept having to get up, what felt like every 30 minutes to go pee. So, when the alarm went off at 5, I really wanted to just say screw it, I'm going back to sleep.

But I turned on the lights and we both rolled out of bed and go ourselves ready for our long run of the week. We started off on the usual route for the first two miles then changed up the route. It was really kind of nice actually. The only downside was that we had to stick to the sidewalks which were of course wonky in some spots so you had to really pay attention.

The first 5 miles went by really quickly. My legs felt good. The air felt better. We had a front move through and it cooled it down to 75 degrees. After a heat index of 108, 75 could be snowing. And the breeze was actually cooler air too. So much better than last week's disastrous run.

I was able to really keep my breathing under control and also focus a little on my foot strike. I've been starting to get farther and farther on the ball of my feed again. I know mid-strike is ideal, but I take it to the extreme and it's definitely a throw-back to my ballet days.

Our route still took us towards the Clinton Library and my dreaded bridge. But, there is water on the other side of that darn bridge and a very beautiful sunrise to view as well. So over, down the other side of the river trail and back again. We stopped at the water spigot to refill and refuel at about mile 6.2. Then it was off again to get back over that darn bridge. But we took it steady and even and didn't try to just plow up it.

I did end up having to walk for a minute around mile 8.2. I could tell my heart rate was soaring. We'd just gone up two fairly significant inclines and were about to have to continue upwards as the return route is one continual incline, gradual, but for 2 miles. So I got my heart rate in check and we were off again.

I had felt so good the majority of the run, but by mile 9 my legs felt dead. Absolutely, totally dead. I tried to sort of change pace or my gait just a bit, but there was no point then. My legs were stuck in that one pattern, that one motion, that one speed and that's that. Have you ever had that happen? And then even trying to stop is hard. It's like your legs are working all on their own.

Anyway, 10.1 miles done and I didn't throw any temper tantrums or have any meltdowns. So much better than last week. And we actually ended up with a 9:30 pace even with my 1 minute walk. Not too bad considering recent long runs have really slowed down this summer.

Fun Facts Friday - Running Quirks 
I do apologize to my non-running readers for the onslaught of running posts. I hope that I don't bore you or run you off!! I guess it makes sense that I'd be posting more about running as I'm running more right now. If I get annoying, please speak up ;-)

Yesterday I saw this video and thought it was pretty hysterical, and became the inspiration for today's Fun Facts Friday post.



While I'd love to think I had the perfect running style, I know that's not true. Jason often points out that I'm doing something funking with my "Garmin hand." I kind of start to let my wrist drop and turn my hand facing in and I think it's because I'm trying to make the watch part rest comfortably. Who knows.

Also, I run way way up on the front of my feet and never put my heels down and over-supinate so race pictures it looks like I'm landing completely on the outside of my foot like I'm about to break it.

So. Perfect? Not a chance. So, I know I have some quirks, but I also notice other runner's and their oddities. I mean, when you're just out there running out on a running trail, you're going to see a lot of other runners and a lot of quirks and oddities right?

So, here are just some funny things I've noticed other runners doing. And I have posted some of these before ages ago. So I apologize if you remember that post.

  • Flapping hands - kind of a slapping the air motion
  • Arm up in the air - there is one girl I've seen that has her Garmin arm in the air like she's trying to keep it synced with the satellites or something. 
  • Palm up - there is a barefoot running that keeps his right palm facing up and he moves it back and forth in a rhythmic motion.
  • Head tilted - running with your head cocked to one side - maybe keeping earbud in?
  • Duck feet - feet turned out
  • Floppy feet - kicking feet out and in so the ankle and foot always looks floppy.
  • Prissy runner - the girls that have the perfectly done hair, full on makeup, matching head to toe, and fancy high-end sunglasses (not running sunglass mind you).
  • Hydration station - water belt loaded up with enough water to pass out to everyone else.
  • Pained - no explanation really needed, they just look like they're hating life (me last Friday I'm sure). 

So, what are your running quirks or what are some you've noticed?

Daily To-Enjoy List:
Morning run
It's Friday
Happy hour with friends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.