Skip to main content

2 on Tuesday: Workouts and Dinners

Orange Inspired
Last night, Jason ended up making up an Orange Roasted Broccoli & Chickpea Salad. I pretty much just sat back and watched. We had several oranges on hand that were going bad quickly. He had been talking about making an orange vinaigrette, so I let him just go with it.

Orange Roasted Broccoli & Chickpea Salad
Ingredients 
Roasted veggies
1 bunch broccoli, chopped
1/3 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped (red would be more colorful)
1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
Orange segments
1/4 cup raisins 
To taste: salt, pepper, red pepper, dried thyme, dried ginger

Orange vinaigrette
Zest of one orange
2/3 cup (or a little less) of freshly squeezed oranges
Splash of red wine vinegar
Agave, to taste
To taste: salt, pepper, powdered garlic, red pepper flakes, dried thyme, fresh basil, dried ginger
Olive oil, enough for desired consistency of a loose vinaigrette

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Add veggies and chickpeas to a prepared baking sheet and add seasonings. Cover with foil then removed foil and bake approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and add in the orange segments and raisins and roasted til crispy.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the vinaigrette and set aside.
 
When veggies are roasted put in a bowl and toss with vinaigrette. As an option, you can garnish with raw cashews or toasted almonds (I added the cashews after the pics). This really turned out very well. It was a lighter, refreshing kind of dish. The orange felt very clean. Definitely a great side dish for a gathering as well.

Two on Tuesday
This morning Jason and I got up nice and early to get in a run while it was still mostly cool. It was about 65 degrees, but the humidity made it feel like you were swimming rather than running. Thank goodness the sun wasn't up yet, so that made it bearable at least. Though, we were both puddles of sweat (nice visual huh?).

We stuck to our now-typical morning route. The way we run we can do between 4-5 miles depending on the goal. Today I got in 4.5, Jason stopped right at 4. He was having one of those heavy-legs runs. Just nothing really clicking quite right. And at one point he choked on a bug and hacked for the next 2 miles.

So, I can't speak for him, but for me...I had a pretty good run. It wasn't super speedy. In fact, the splits were sort of all over the map going from 9:22 to 8:55, then 9:01, I missed mile 4 entirely (I think it was right at 9 again but not really sure), but my last .5 was 8:45. It's funny to me how sometimes you can be almost spot on with even splits, but other times they go up and down like crazy.

I decided to go ahead and do legs today during my lunch break (at home). I've been doing legs on Thursdays then resting on Friday. But I thought I'd try doing them on Tuesday with Wednesday's workout being used to just loosen them up and keep them moving rather than doing absolutely nothing. We'll see how it works out for me of course.

I went with a circuit style workout again and ended up adding in chest. I went with 4 rounds but the reps varied a bit. I mostly did 10 reps for each exercises, variations noted:

Dumbbell squats
Plie squats
Calf raises - 20 (2 sets with feet facing forward, 2 sets feet turned out)
Single-leg dead lifts
Hip lifts with heels on step - 12 reps
Weighted donkey kicks - 12 reps each leg
Pushups with toes on step - 12 reps
Side lunge with single dumbbell - 8 reps each side
Chest flye into chest press - 8 reps

This workout went by really quickly, only 30 minutes long. I did keep my rests in between the sets fairly short.

Tofu Tuesday
After work I manged to not talk myself out of a Target run. I've been putting it off, but the list keeps growing. So, I figured I needed to go ahead and get that taken care of. I really had no good excuse to avoid it one more day.

Since the sun was out this evening, we went with our planned grilling from last night: BBQ tofu, corn on the cob, and sweet potato rounds.

I started marinating the tofu last night, so everything was pretty easy to prep and get going.

Daily To-Enjoy List:
Morning run
Sunshine
Grilling
Good leg workout

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.