Skip to main content

Street to Sweat for Weights & Tabata

Weights & Tabata
Today was supposed to be a gym day for me. I did ask Jason if he wanted to run at lunch vs in the morning. I was hoping he'd say today. Nope. No such luck. So, I did what I needed to do and hit gym. And it really was more ideal. The temps were already in the 80's by 11 and it was pretty windy out.

I guess I'm feeling like I'm spending too much time at the gym - like I'm working harder not smarter. I am not sure if it's time to go back to a few weeks for full body workouts or what I should do. I have a huge list of exercises I think I should be doing, or want to be doing. But I feel like I'd be there even longer than I already am.

Anyway, I hit the elliptical to warmup then hit the weights. It wasn't the best workout session, but that boiled down to some major annoyances (which I'll get to). I decided to go with giant sets for back and shoulders.

After finally securing a bench, I got started. I did 3 sets of 8 reps:

GS - back
Assisted wide-grip chinups
Double-arm rows
Incline rear flyes (which also hits shoulders)

GS - shoulder
Overhead shoulder press
Upright rows
Lateral raises

Now, back to those annoyances...our weight area is very small and very crowded with only a 2 mirrors. There are lots more mirrors, but they line the area where the machines are and the space where you can do more bootcamp-ish workout.

The weight area is crowded when you get more than 3 people in the area and when I got over there, there were already 5 guys. All the bars were in use, but I finally snagged a bench but had to position away from a mirror and too close (in my mind) to a squat rack. In other words, I felt super crowded - I was in the way and everyone was in my way.

After I got back done, I cleaned up my space and moved out of the weight area to the more open space to do shoulders. This way I was not in the way. Of course this ate up precious workout time moving around.

And wouldn't you know, the minute I change places all the men were somehow needing to walk either in front of or behind me and using the machines. For real? Can't a girl just have a space to do weights?

How do you deal with feeling crowded in the weight room? Does it bother you to lift really close to someone else?

Anyway, I was peeved so I decided to use up that aggression on 2 rounds of tabata. I did the following 8 exercises one right after another for 40 seconds with a 20 second rest then 1 minute rest before repeating:

Burpees
Kettlebell swings
Kettlebell figure 8's
Tuck jumps
Kettlebell squats with high pull
Alternating squats with front kick (bodyweight only)
Front jabs with light weights
Up/down planks

Man oh man, this one kicked my butt. I've been avoid high-impact moves like burpees and tuck jumps because of my foot. But decided to give them a go today. Phew.

Street to Sweat
And just to lighten the mood, here's a Street to Sweet for ya.
Sweater and necklace both from The Limited
Pants from The Loft
I realized after the fact that I've posted this same outfit before - all from Target C9 except hat which is Nike.

Simple Supper
Dinner tonight will be simple fajitas. They're easy to throw together and satisfy any craving for veggies. I just saute onions, bell peppers, squash, zucchini and seitan together with spices like cumin, red pepper, chili powder, cilantro, salt and pepper and a splash of lemon or lime juice.

I always top with lots of yummy Daiya Vegan Cheese and jalapenos as well.
Re-purposed picture from last week. I hope you don't mind ;-)
Hard to get much easier than that really. And the leftovers are always great on a salad the next day.

Daily To-Enjoy List:

  • Sunshine
  • Easy dinner


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.