Skip to main content

Running, Relaxing & Playing

Running and Relaxing
I must say it's been a really good weekend. Yesterday I ended up waking up way earlier than I had wanted. But, it turned out to be a good thing really. At 7 am it was already 70 degrees with high humidity.

I still didn't get my run started as early as I should have, but 9 am on a Saturday was early enough in my mind. I set out on my usual route for longer runs down at the river trails. I was sweating bullets pretty much from the start. The wind started to pick up, which at times felt good because it helped cool me off, but then at the same time I felt like I was running in place.

I definitely had a hard time judging my pace because of the wind. It always throws me off and it sounds crazy but I end up going faster somehow. Like my whole idea of perceived rate of exertion is thrown out of whack. I assume it's hard because of the wind, not because of my speed. So I definitely had to remember to check my pace more frequently.

After the shock of seeing both a bobcat and a colorful snake, things were pretty low-key. I made sure my route took me past a bathroom with water fountain so I could take a potty break (hello hydration), get more water, and re-fuel. I always look forward to taking my GU. That all went down around 5.5 miles into the run.

Overall, I had a great 9 miles. Well, I should say 8.5 were great, the last half a mile kind of sucked. There is part of the trail that is sort of temporary because they are doing construction. So the asphalt is tilted/slanted every which way but right. It's potted, pitted, tilted, and up a hill. And when you're getting fatigued, you just amplify that by about 10 degrees of annoyance and effort. I guess in some ways it's good though. I certainly had no desire to push past 9 miles after getting though that patch.

So 9 miles with average 9:16 pace = happy Heather.

It was a pretty low-key day really. We got a new/used fridge, had to transfer all the food and start cleaning the old fridge out. Jason and I did take a break for a late patio style lunch at Dugan's. It was nice to sit outside and just relax for a bit. We went over to our friends' house for a bit and sat out on their deck, always a nice way to spend an afternoon if you ask me.

Today Jason and I got in a very easy 4 mile run through our neighborhood. We sort of zigzagged up and down streets, which was a nice change of scenery. We kept it slow. It was more of a recovery run for me and Jason's first run in about 2 weeks.

Luckily, I was able to sell our fridge within an hour of listing on Craigslist, so the people came and picked it up. I got my car washed and ran some errands while Jason did yard work.

Then, onto some simple relaxing. We met some friends at a place called Pizza Cafe. They have cold beer, great pizza, and a patio to enjoy it all on. Definitely been a low-key weekend for the most part. Kind of what we both needed though.

Heath and His Toy
I did manage to get a video of Heath playing with his new "talky" ball. I found a ball on Amazon.com that makes noises as long as it's moving - it was suggested on one site I found for blind dogs.

We originally tied a sock around it so he could grasp it - it's a bit larger than he needs and hard plastic. You have to turn the volume up, but you can kind of hear the toy. The weird whining is actually Heath. He goes bonkers for this darn toy and it's nearly impossible to get it away from him.



And, in case you missed it, don't forget to enter my NuNaturals Stevia Giveaway!

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Sunshine
  • Running
  • Relaxing
  • Time with friends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.