Skip to main content

9 Miles & Running Lessons Learned

This morning started off rather cloudy and cool. A front moved through and the temps were in the 40's. Of course this was a great excuse for holding off on my run for a while. Jason obviously couldn't go with me today, so it was the first solo run since before my injures (so early February).

I don't know why, but I was really nervous about doing a long, solo run all of the sudden. I never really minded before. I usually enjoy the "me" time. But this morning I was doing my best to come up with reason to not run.

I even told myself I'd do 4 today then do my long run tomorrow instead...as I was having Jason tape my foot with the KT Tape. The sun started to come out and the temps were in the mid-50's. I knew deep down that I needed to just get out there and stop being a baby.

Actually, I had one thing to look forward to (sort of), I spent Friday evening downloading some new songs for a playlist. But that's a lesson learned I'll get to in a minute. So, I sucked it up, got myself ready and headed out a little after 11.

It felt pretty chilly when I first started going, and very windy. But of course I got warm very quickly. And it turned out to be a damn good run. I felt strong. I felt good. I felt peaceful. I actually had to talk myself out of 10 miles because I was really feeling smug to be honest. So I stopped at 9 (like a good girl) and walked a quarter of a mile to cool down.

While I was running, I had plenty of time to think and found myself coming up with a lessons learned kind of list. I haven't done a running lessons learned post in ages, so I thought I'd share where my mind went today.
  •  55 degrees is cold only when you're not running. When you're running, it's hot. 
  • Wind is either your friend or your enemy. If it's hot you pray for it, if it's headwinds at 25 mph you're cursing it.
  • Garmin's are made for a reason. I'm terrible at pacing myself and am very happy to have the Garmin to help keep myself in check. I do not need to do an 8:45 pace on a long run especially at mile 7. 
  • When you didn't get the lid on your water bottle correctly and it's sloshing out, you're likely to curse out loud in front of children.
  • Children (toddlers) do not run in a straight line. They veer towards you somehow.
  • It's best not to think about the number of bugs you eat during a run.
  • Trying to do a new playlist the night before isn't smart, especially when you're technologically challenged. It wasn't on shuffle so played in alphabetical order by artist. I had no idea I had that many Eminem songs on my playlist. I think it must have been an entire album.
  • It's ok to smile for no particular reason when running. Other runners understand, and everyone else will steer clear because obviously you're crazy.
  • Sometimes the best runs are the ones you try to avoid. 
What are some of your running or workout lessons learned? My list was a lot longer while I was running. I always forget most of what I was thinking no matter how sure I am that I'll remember. Running amnesia perhaps?


Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Sunshine
  • Running
  • Relaxing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.