Skip to main content

Weights on Wok Wednesday

Weight Day
I won't lie and say I was just super excited about hitting the gym today. But I did it, and I felt better after. Sometimes you gotta just get moving and tell your brain to be quiet for a bit. It was sunny out, and the thought of being in a steamy gym was not exactly appealing.

Gyms on the 29th floor, with all windows are a good idea in theory. Heat rises and the windows seem to just draw in the radiant heat. At least when it's that warm outside, you have a breeze.

Anyway, I got my rear in gear and started with 20 minutes on the elliptical before moving on to back and shoulders. I went with 3 sets of 8 reps done as supersets unless noted. For some exercises I am trying to increase my weights so I have been doing as many reps as possible with the heavier weight then dropping down for the remainder of the reps. It seems to be helping me push past some plateaus.

SS#1
Assisted wide grip chinups
Cuban press

SS#2
Pullovers
Lateral raise

SS#3
Double-arm rows
Front raise

SS#4
Low back extensions - 10 reps
Incline rear flye

I did some ab work as well.

Grilling for Wok Wednesday ?
Tonight is one of those strange concoction dinners. I had originally thought of going with my recent Wok Wednesday theme. I had bok choy to use up, so that helped me make the decision. But, then we have this nice weather...grilling weather.

Jason suggest grilling the bok choy. I wasn't opposed, but didn't have any other ideas of what to put together to make it a meal. I had tossed around the crazy idea of a grilled "stir fry" just using everything that I would have used in a regular stir fry. But I thought that was probably a little out there.

But maybe not. Either that or Jason is just as nuts as I am. He started off suggesting a Chinese BBQ. Ok, whatever that means. Then he said something about a deconstructed stir fry. Ok. Totally on the same wave length apparently. Obviously we were meant for each other ;-)

I made a marinade/sauce by whisking together: soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, plum sauce, Sriracha sauce, and orange juice.

I dry-seared the tofu then let that marinate for a bit. I pulled it out of the sauce and tossed all my stir fry ingredients in the sauce (bok choy, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms). I put my veggies on a grilling tray/basket.

I started my grill and went back in to let it heat up. When I took out my veggies and opened the grill...no heat. Big fail - propane tank pooped out.

Oh well, maybe next time. So, in the end, it was a regular Wok Wednesday only with a huge mess created beforehand.

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Sunshine
  • Grilling (well, not quite, but I tried)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.