Skip to main content

Prosperity Dinner Bowl & Great 4-Miler

Prosperity Dinner Bowl
Last night I ended up relinguishing kitchen control to Jason. I was so tired after not getting much sleep, and that was setting in big time by 6 pm. I really could have just gone to bed by 7.

I had been thinking about black-eyed peas, Apricot Glazed Brussels Sprouts, wild rice, and roasted sweet potatoes combined in a bowl with some sort of vinaigrette to tie them all together. So that you could just mix it all together.

Jason had other ideas that included using fingerling potatoes. I did tell him my ideas and also told him to just do whatever because I so didn't care at that point. He actually ended up putting together my dish idea for the most part.

He cooked the wild rice with the peas. He did use fingerling potatoes plus sweet potatoes (upon request). I made the glaze for the sprouts and used that as a base for a dressing for the peas. It was simple, but very hearty and satisfying.
 

Now, let's hope this brings us the luck and prosperity it's supposed to bring ;-)

Windy Run
This morning Jason got up to go swim. They didn't have the regular master's class at 5:30, but he met a friend at 8:30 as they opened the pool for those who wanted to still get in a workout. He got home around 10:15 and I thought I was just going to hit the treadmill for intervals. It was about 35 degrees with 25mph winds.

But, it was sunny out, and Jason decided that he wanted to get in 4 miles with me after his breakfast. So, I pretty much stayed in PJs until 11:30 this morning. I did at least get several loads of laundry washed, so not a total bum.

While I really don't like cold weather, especially wind, I was excited to wear my new Brooks Infiniti Hybrid Running Shirt. This shirt is flipping awesome for battling cold winds. Now, it won't make the run necessarily easier, but more bearable not having the wind cut into you. It really keeps your chest/core warm but not overly warm. It is definitely still a wicking shirt. Even better, it has the thumb holes I've been wanting in a running shirt. I was super excited and didn't mind one bit that it was cold out. Who am I again???

The wind can really mess with you when you're running. So in between cursing the wind and just trying to not be knocked over, we did a lot of joking and laughing. I guess that's our weird coping method...one we both agree on. I guess it's better to just laugh than to be ticked.

We both had a really good run. Jason even commented that it was a good run. Usually it's just me thinking it was good for me so that means he had a good run too. Even though that's probably not so true.

After the run, we got cleaned up and headed out for a late lunch before hitting up Target (with half of the city apparently). I did at least score a pair of Champion brand running tights on clearance, so that made it more worth the trip and hassle. Then it was back home and back into my jammies and house shoes. Sometimes I feel like such an old lady, or lazy bum.

Dinner? Who knows. The wind is whipping and it's supposed to drop to 23 degrees tonight. So soup or chile might be on tap. If it's something new and interesting, I'll be sure to post tomorrow. 


Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Run with Jason
  • Sunshine
  • Relaxing

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.