Skip to main content

Spin, Triceps and New Dinner Flavors

Spin and Triceps
Today was another spin day for me. I really am itching to get out and run, but I know it's not the best thing for me right now. At least having storms blowing in sort of squelched the running.

When you live in a tornado alley, if it's 78 degrees in November and a front is moving in, it can never be a good thing. We were under a tornado watch most of the day. Definitely will keep you from attempting an outdoor run.

Luckily, the skies didn't open up until after work. But the winds were whipping and the skies were threatening and ominous, air just heavy.

I did get in triceps before spin as well. I went with a giant set of 3x(8, 10, 10)

Lying triceps extensions
Double-arm kickbacks
Dips

I want to incorporate other triceps exercises into my workouts, but the majority of them hurt my left elbow, so I feel like I pretty much do the same thing week after week.

New Flavors
Jason and I both have been wanting to come up with some different recipes lately, not just new, but using ingredients we don't often buy and keep on hand.

For some reason, I keep gravitating to grain salads and he's heading towards the Asian foods. Since he got his Tofu Noodle Bowl last night, I got my grain salad tonight.

I discovered last year that I actually do like beets. I just don't think to buy them often. I thought the earthiness would pair well with the sweetness from kabocha and that the textures would go well together.

I also wanted to amp up the nutritional values, so that's where the kale came into play - plus I just like the additional color and texture it adds.

Roasted Kabocha and Beets Kale and Wheatberry Salad
Ingredients:

1 cup wheatberries
4 1/2-5 cups water
3 medium sized beets, peeled and cubed
1/2 medium kabocha squash, peeled and cubed
1 small bunch of kale, cleaned and rough chopped
1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp stone ground mustard
1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette of your choice
1/2 cup vegetable broth (no-salt preferably)
Splash of apple cider vinegar
1 can cannellini beans rinsed and drained

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook wheatberries in the water per package direction while you begin to prep the rest of the dish (I usually turn up heat higher than suggested for faster cooking).

Drizzle very small amount of olive oil over beets and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Bake beets for 10 minutes then add in the kabocha. Drizzle kabocha with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return to oven and cook until fork tender, approximately 45 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, vinaigrette, agave, and vegetable broth.

Meanwhile, saute onions and garlic in large skillet approximately 3-5 minutes then add in the kale and your sauce/dressing. Cover with lid to allow kale to steam. If it becomes too dry, add additional broth as the extra liquid will help to season the rest of the salad.

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and re-season with salt and pepper as needed.
 
This was good, but there was some flavor component I felt was missing - maybe citrus. I did really enjoy the flavors of the beets, kabocha, and kale though, and great textures. 

How do you go about coming up with dinner? Are you a recipe follower or do you just go with flavors you enjoy and come up with something new and different? Obviously, I am not a recipe follower. I am a believer in learning some basic techniques and knowing flavor combinations that I like and going from there (for better or worse).

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Fun spin class
  • New dinner flavors

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.