Skip to main content

Unplanned Rest Day & Balsamic Stone-Ground Mustard Tofu

Rest Day
Well, today ended up being an unplanned rest day for me. Honestly, I was feeling a bit blue today and the thought of running or doing any workouts just made it worse. Normally it'd be the opposite for me. But I think my body was telling me to chill out and rest up.

Today's run was supposed to be a 6-mile tempo run. So definitely not an easy or relaxing type of run. And if I was already feeling fatigued, then I knew the run would suffer big time. So, rest up and recharge and get back to it tomorrow is the plan.

I actually ended up leaving work at noon. I was just that blah/blue/yuck feeling. And no worries, I'll be fine of course. We all have those days. Sinuses acting up so giving me a headache, no desire to workout at all, just an off day.

Kitchen Therapy
When I got home, I immediately put on comfy clothes and started cleaning (aka throwing out junk). I did some purging of junk that had collected in our office as well. Kind of made me feel better to be getting rid of unnecessary crap actually.

I also made a recipe I've been eying - SpaBettie's Tomato Basil Beanballs. The recipe is SO simple and so incredibly full of flavor. The only changes I made were to add in some fresh oregano, garlic, and chili pepper flakes. Other than that, I just followed her recipe and tips/tricks and they came out  fantastic.
Oh....But, that's not we had for dinner. I made those to use for tomorrow night's dinner. I also made up some black bean burgers while I was at it. I love being productive in the kitchen. I find it very therapeutic. So I suppose that's why I made yet another dish for tonight. I made Balsamic and Stone-Ground Mustard Tofu with Sauteed Kale and Sweet Potatoes.

For the tofu, I pressed then dry seared before marinating in a mix of balsamic vinaigrette, stone-ground mustard, and splash of OJ. Super simple mix. I let that marinate in the fridge for several hours before baking at 400 degrees until crisp.

For the kale, I simple diced one sweet potato and nuked for 4 minutes. I added that to a pan with white onion and a bit of salt and pepper to begin to saute. I then added in no-salt vegetable broth and some white wine and the kale. I covered to let the kale begin to steam and wilt down. I did add just a drizzle of agave, but that's completely optional. I also added in a pinch of ground red pepper and some garlic powder.

After the kale had wilted down and potatoes were mostly done, I uncovered to let any liquid sort of steam/cook out.
 

I served with some homemade wheat French bread and used leftover marinade to drizzle over the tofu.

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Kitchen time
  • Mental health time
  • Sunshine
  • Rest day (better pay off tomorrow darn it)
  • Catching up on TV shows

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.