Skip to main content

Ouch Legs & Garlicky Tomato "Cream" Sauce

Leg Day
Today I packed my gym bag and hauled it to the office with me. My plan was to do legs at lunch and secretly hoped I'd feel up to the 3-mile run on today's half marathon training plan. I know, crazy talk.

I really wasn't sure how my legs would feel after two days of pretty hard runs. But they seemed (key word) to be a-ok. I warmed up with 10 minutes on the elliptical then started with a warmup set of 10 squats with no weight on the bar. Then I got to it:

SS
Squats
Plie squats

Front, side, rear lunge combo* - 3x4

SS
Single-leg deadlifts - 3x8
Calf raises - 3x20

*Start with feet parallel, lunge front then return to start tapping toe, lunge side return tapping toe, lunge back tapping toe for 1 rep. I used a single weight held in both hands.

I finished with some abs then headed home to get cleaned up before going back to work. This workout looks harmless enough right? Apparently my quads didn't know they were sore until I started with the lunge combo. Holy freaking ouch. I really thought I might fall down the stairs leaving the building by legs were shaking so much.

Let's just say, no running today or tomorrow.


Combining Recipes
I had some cherry tomatoes that needed to be used pretty quickly. I also had a spaghetti squash, but wanted to do something different tonight than what I've been doing combining those two ingredients. This meant my wheels were spinning trying to come up with something new, but also not time-consuming to make. So what did this crazy brain come up with?

Let's take a look shall we...

I took a basic cashew cream and combined that with a Garlicky Tomato Sauce to make a Garlicky Tomato Cream Sauce to go over spaghetti squash that I tossed with fresh basil, oregano, spinach, salt, and pepper.

While I cooked the tomatoes, I made the cream sauce adding in one change, onion flakes. Once the tomatoes were done, I added them to the cream sauce and pureed until smooth, reseasoning just a bit with additional salt, pepper, and just a dash of red pepper.

To plate, I put down the spaghetti squash and a small amount of the sauce then topped with a Gardein Chick'n Scallopini that I seared in a non-stick skillet.The only thing this was missing was a side of homemade bread.
 

This probably sounds far more complicated than it was. It was just combining two recipes essentially to come up with one fantastic sauce. It took longer to cook the spaghetti squash than it did to make the sauce. 

Daily To-Enjoy List:
  • Being creative in the kitchen
  • Listening to relaxing music (love Norah Jones) while cooking on a rainy evening
  • Pinot Noir
  • Knowing tomorrow is Friday AND a rest day
  • Eating at the table

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.