Skip to main content

Chicgo Day 2 - Class, Vegan Dining & Lots of Walking

Class & Lunch
I decided to use today as a rest day since we did run yesterday and walked a ton. I figured we'd do more walking today and try to scout out some running areas near the lake. I feel a little nuts being so excited about running by the lake. It just makes me smile thinking about the view. I don't care how fast or far we go even, I just plan on enjoying it.

Luckily, where our training classes are is literally two buildings over from where we're staying. So, we don't have to get up super early to get to class. We did go in earlier today so we could ensure that we all sat together (there's 3 of us). And within 5 minutes, the know-it-all was pegged. Even better, he was sitting right behind us. I felt like a kid because I so badly wanted to write a note and pass it to my coworkers regarding the guy who wouldn't shut up. But, I refrained myself. I am an adult after all (sometimes).

Also, there is a Chipotle right downstairs. We just got one back home, but none of us have tried it yet. So, that was the plan for lunch today. Plan anyway...at noon, there was a line out the door. So plan B was a little deli right next door called the Halsted Street Deli. Eh..so so. Nothing spectacular. We ended up having to eat in our rooms because there was not enough seating for all of us. The one downfall of my room is only one seat at the very large desk and no real table. I did use TJ's peach salsa to make my salad better. Going to have to get another jar ;-)

Vegan Dining & Walking
After class, all I wanted to do was get outside and walk. I was so tired of sitting inside. I think Jason felt the same way, so we decided to walk to Karyn's Cooked, which was about .8 miles. It was such gorgeous weather. Barely 80 degrees, no humidity, and sunny. Perfect!
We got lucky and got the last 2 seats outside.
 

I will admit, I printed off the menu to Karyn's Cooked and had been studying it for days. Still, it took us about 20 minutes to decide on apps: Thai Skewers and Bruschetta.
 

Then there was the big dinner decision. Even Jason had trouble making a decision. He wavered for a bit, but ended up getting the Green Enchiladas and I got the Jerk Tofu Wrap.


We of course sampled from each others plates. Two words: Stuffed Bellies. The food was incredible. There were so many other things we wanted to try that I think (know) we will head back over there to try some other dishes. I am so lucky to be married to someone so open when it comes to food. Yes, he eats meat, but appreciates good food period. And, he knows what it's like for me not being able to find things like this.

After stuffing our faces, we both just wanted to try to walk it all off. So off we went. And went, and walked, and walked. We made a stop at the Ghirardelli store. I'm not even a super fan of chocolate but I got excited going in there. Of course, part of it was remembering our first Chicago trip. Jason got a coffee, and I picked out a few treats for my sister. Then...back to walking.
 

We made our way to the lake eventually, mapping out running routes. Now, here's the kicker, all this walking was done in heels. Yep, heels. So, by the time we hit Millennium Park (a mile from our hotel), I was really really done. We finally got a bus for the last half mile. That doesn't sound like much, but after the amount of walking we did and the growing blisters we both had, the bus sounded like heaven.

So, that was Chicago Day 2 in a nutshell. Yes, I had class; Jason worked in the room. But overall, a really good day. We have so much more we want to do and see of course, but we're spreading it out somewhat. We're really trying to just soak it all in and take advantage of this opportunity to spend so much time here.


Daily To-Enjoy List
  • Walking around Chicago
  • Lake views
  • Vegan dinner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.