Skip to main content

Two-a-Day Tuesday & Chickpeas & Veggies Sauce with Noodles

Two-a-Day Tuesday
This morning I did indeed get out of bed and get in an early morning run. It did help that I had a running date with a friend. Jason was going to bike while our friend Thad and I ran.

I finally had a really great outdoor run too. Maybe it was the cooler temps (only about 64 degrees), being completely over the sinus infection, or the good company. Either way, I'll take it.

We got in 5.4 miles. We had to turn around just a hair early because part of the path was flooded. I was ready to run, not swim this morning. I have to give major props to my friend Thad.

I know he's been worried about going out for a run with me, thinking I'll just run off and leave him. But we were there to run together. I let him pretty much set the pace, and he's much faster than he gives himself credit for. So high 5's Thad!!!

Today was another 2-a-day Tuesday. I am trying to fit in all of my weight workouts before we leave for vacation. So I decided to go with biceps, shoulders, and abs at lunch. I knew I could get in and get it done efficiently.

Once again, I went with the giant sets of 3X(6,8,10). I really like the total muscle fatigue you get at the end, despite having to go a little lower with weights.

GS#1
Alternating bicep curls
Hammer curls
Preacher curls

GS#2
Arnold press
Lateral raise
Rear delt flye

I did abs from Cathe's High Reps DVD as it's short but tough.

Since I got my rear up and got my workout done early (and at lunch), I got off at normal time today. This left me time to hit up Barnes & Noble. I am on my last unread book in the house and needed to restock for the upcoming beach vacation. You can't sit on the beach all day without a few books and some magazines.

Too Much Dinner
Dinner was supposed to be fairly simple. We have lots of veggies to use up before we leave on Saturday. I was going to do a Pasta & Veggies dish. Surprise, no rotini or penne. I did have a bag of Shirataki Noodles and some soba noodles though. So I combined those for Chickpeas & Veggies Sauce with Noodles.

Chickpeas and Veggies Sauce with Noodles
Ingredients:
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1-2 tbsp minced garlic
1 can diced tomatoes (with juice)
1 package shirataki noodles, rinsed well
1 1/2 cups chickpeas 
1/2 bunch kale, de-veined and chopped
1/4 cup white wine or vegetable stock
4 oz tomato paste (or just use less liquid)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 yellow squash, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1/2 portobello mushroom, diced (optional)
5-6 sundried tomatoes, rehydrated and chopped
Capers to taste
To taste: salt, pepper, basil, oregano, red pepper

1 serving soba noodles, cooked per package directions (optional)

Directions:
In large skillet, saute onion, bell pepper, shirataki noodles, and garlic for about 3-4 minutes. Add in diced tomatoes with juice, chickpeas, kale, wine and spices.

Cover and let the kale soften for about 5 minutes.

Add in remaining ingredients, toss well and cover to allow kale to continue to cook down, approximately 5 minutes. Uncover and allow to simmer until sauce thickens.
 

This is basically a one-pot dinner other than a pot to cook the soba noodles in. And of course this was over-kill and made way more than I had intended. So, you could easily use half a squash and 1/2 zucchini, smaller bunch of kale, and just the shirataki noodles or just the soba noodles.

BUT, it was really tasty and that's what matters most - especially when you're just making stuff up ;-) It has sort of a Mediterranean hint, maybe because of the sundried tomatoes. If you like feta or goat cheese, either would work really well here too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.