Skip to main content

Lucky New Year's Stew, Leg Day & Christmas Decorations Down

First Stew of 2011
As promised, here are the recipes from our New Year's Dinner. Like I said yesterday, we don't normally make it a point to get in all the "lucky" dishes like black-eyed peas and cabbage. However, it was the perfect opportunity for me to use my new crockpot (correctly). I also made a Vegan Chiptole Cornbread to go along with this hearty Lucky New Year's Stew.

Lucky New Year's Stew
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups black-eyed peas soaked overnight
1 yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1-2 sweet potatoes, diced
32 oz no-salt vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 not-beef bouilon cube
To taste: salt, pepper, chili powder, liquid smoke, red pepper, garlic, parsley, basil
1 bunch kale, roughly chopped

Directions:
Put all ingredients minus the kale in the crockpot and cook on low for approximately 5 hours. Add in the kale and cook an additional 30 minutes on high or hour on low.
 
Vegan Chipotle Cornbread
Ingredients:
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar free applesauce
1  cup soy or almond milk
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp ground flax seed
To taste: sea salt, chipotle flakes or minced chipotle in adobo

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In large bowl, mix all ingredients until completely combined. Pour into prepared casserole dish or muffin tin.

Bake approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown.
 
 

This stew ended up being so good. The sweet potatoes really imparted a slight sweetness into the broth itself, but the kale and black-eyed peas balanced it out nicely. The textures were great. It was a great, hearty stew. It's one I'll make again, probably trying with black beans. The cornbread had a really nice texture, but was a little bland. I think it needed a little more agave and salt. 

Leg Day
Today started of at about 28 degrees. I was thinking about getting chores done then heading out for a run later on. However, Jason was feeling really cruddy today (he's had the same cold/allergy/crud) I've had. I ended up just opting for a leg workout instead. I went with three trisets of 3x8 unless noted then followed up with a few additional exercises.

TS#1
Squats
Alternating plie squats
Deadlifts

TS#2
Step ups
Static lunges
Calf raises - 3x10

TS#3
Alternating front lunges
Low-plan static lunges
Narrow stance squats

Weighted plie hops - 24
Firewalkers - 8
Weighted donkey kicks - 2x18
Weighted wall squats with stability ball - 12

I finished off legs (literally) with the high- and low-impact HIIT segments from Cathe's Intensity DVD. Shaky legs for sure. I stretched and rolled using my new TriggerPoint Therapy Kit before getting cleaned up for lunch.

Productive Sunday
After lunch, it was time to get serious (aka productive). In order to make the productive day more comfortable, I stayed comfy in some sweats. Yep, no makeup, no hair styling, no real clothes kind of Sunday.

We got all the Christmas decorations put away, which is really depressing. I always think the house looks so bare and empty once the decorations come down. I started two pots of beans (chickpeas and black beans). I also dusted, swept, and swiffered. I started pressing tofu to bake for a crockpot stew I'm going to try out tomorrow using the chickpeas and probably kabocha squash.

I may use some leftover black-eyed peas to throw together some veggie burgers and bake those at the same time I bake the tofu. But, I will admit that I'm slowly running out of steam. In fact, dinner may just be leftovers from last night. So, I'm going to post early today and maybe go sit and watch a movie with Jason. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.