Skip to main content

STS, Step, and Chipotle Vegetable Enchiladas

Soup Sunday
Last night we were pretty lazy. We watched a movie (A Walk to Remember) and ended up heating up leftover Chipotle Kabocha and Pumpkin Soup for dinner. Neither of use wanted anything heavy at all, so this was perfect and involved no cooking.

STS and Step
Today I knew I was going to do chest at lunch, but what I ended up decided (last minute) is to restart Cathe's STS (Shock Training System) Series again. This time I will break out the muscle groups though. This will allow me to continue to do weights during lunch. I had been putting off restarting STS because I didn't want to do hour long weight sessions right now.

Today was Meso 1, Disc 1. It was supposed to be chest, shoulders, biceps, but I did chest and biceps only. Meso 1 is all about endurance (and pushups). I didn't have time to look back at my workout cards from the first round of STS so I definitely miscalculated weights today - as in went way heavier than I probably should have, but only hit failure once. Guess that means I'm much stronger this time around.

Here is how the workout went for chest and biceps. There were lots of varied rep patterns being used and that's the key here. High reps, changing rep patterns.

Push Ups - Standard - 1.5's - 8
Push Up Wide - 1.5's - 8
Push Ups - Standard  - 30
Barbell Curl - 21's
Incline Chest Flyes (dumbbell) - 15
Incline Curl Alternating & Rotate at Top (dumbbell) - 15
Decline Pushups - 20
Standing Quarter Stop Curls Both Arms (dumbbell) - 8
Prone Pushups on Stability Ball - 4:4 then single counts
Seated Concentration Curls 1.5's (dumbbell) - 12
Straddle Pushups - 2:2 then single
Seated Curls Alternating + Both Arms (dumbbell) - 8 alternating then 8 both arms
Chest Flyes (Flat Bench) (dumbbell) - 15
Preacher Curl on Stability Ball One Arm (dumbbell) - 15
Core Pushups - boot camp style - 16
Reverse Dumbbell Curl - 8 at 3:1, 8 at 1:3
Staggered Pushups - 16
Barbell Curl Wide Grip - 21's

My arms were trembling after this one. I will say it was a bit odd doing my weights to a DVD again. It's been so long that I don't even remember the last weight DVD I actually did.

After work I went with Cathe's Low Impact Circuit Cardio Only Premix and abs. I just did 3 out of the 4 step combos though.


Mexican Monday
We had some squash and zucchini that needed to be used quickly. Jason suggested fajitas. I ended up playing off that idea and put together Chipotle Vegetable Enchiladas to celebrate Mexican Monday.

Chipotle Vegetable Enchiladas
Ingredients:
Sauce
1 can no-salt diced tomatoes
1 8 oz can no-salt tomato sauce
1-2 tbsp minced onions
2-3 tbsp adobo salsa (or minced chipotle with adobo sauce)
To taste: salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cilantro, agave nectar

Enchiladas

1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1 small zucchini, diced
1 small yellow squash, diced
1 package your choice meat sub like seitan, diced
1/2 cup black beans, heated and lightly mashed
To taste: salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, cilantro, lemon juice
Vegan "cheese" of your choice like Daiya
Whole-grain tortillas

Directions:
In medium sauce pan, cook all ingredients for sauce. Allow to cook approximately 20-25 minutes for flavors to meld and thicken.

In large non-stick skillet, saute onions and bell peppers until begin to soften. Add in remaining ingredients minus the "cheese."

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Spray a casserole dish with a non-stick spray. Add filling to center of a tortilla and top with small amount of the "cheese" then roll up tortillas and place seem side down. After you have filled the pan, pour the sauce down over the enchiladas and top with remaining "cheese."

Cover and bake for approximately 10 minutes then uncover and bake an additional 20-25 minutes until golden.
 

Of course this was far more complicated than just doing the fajitas, but it was worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.