Skip to main content

Wrap it Up Wednesday

  (edited with photos)
What a Run
Today was a gorgeous day, especially after the dreary day we had yesterday. What does this mean? Um a run at lunch of course. I am absolutely loving being able to run mid-day again. It was just a bit over 70 degrees when I got started with only a slight breeze.

Today was one of those days when I had to force myself to stop running and get back to work. I was sort of pounding out some frustrations while enjoying the gorgeous day. I really felt like I could have done another 2 miles at least even at the pace I was holding. I ended up doing 4.9 miles in 40:40 for an average 8.18 pace. I am pretty proud of that actually. It definitely makes me feel strong. I guess what I am most proud of is that I wasn't really trying to run for speed today, just trying to enjoy the run. I supposed that sometimes when you just relax and go with it, you end up surprising yourself (and yes, I am surprised with myself).

I did a lot of reflecting, thinking, looking around during my run today. It really sort of helped me refocus for the day. So, here's what I did during my run today (besides run of course):
  • I came up with some fun facts for Friday.
  • I noticed a stained glass window in a church that I've yet to pay attention to.
  • I noticed quite a bit of construction going on (great news for our neighborhood, means more revitalization).
  • I also noticed lots of dog poop - owners, please carry a baggy with you.
  • I realized that 4 miles no longer seems daunting at all. It wasn't too long ago when I finally felt that way about 2 miles.
I did have to wrap it up and head back to work sooner that I would have liked. That's the only downfall of running at lunch rather than after work. Speaking of after work, I ended up going for back today. I wasn't sure if I was going to tackle that on or not, but I went for it. I used the same method I talked about yesterday.

Pullovers - 3x6

Underhand rows - 3x8

Double-arm rows - 3x10

Single-arm horizontal rows - 3x12

I felt like it was a pretty good workout. I still wish I had a pull up bar option.

Wrap It Wednesday
Ok, so there is the mock blackened "chicken" we started picking up from Whole Foods occasionally (ok like twice now). It's really good, and I knew I could do something similar. The last time I picked it up, I studied the ingredient list carefully. I knew I needed seitan, a vegan mayo (or regular if you prefer), blackened spices, and red onions. Not hard right?

I was out of homemade seitan, but my sis had picked up some for me she spotted on clearance. Love backup plans. I searched around online to find a recipe for blackened seasonings and also for a vegan mayo as I didn't have a store brand. I ended up making a Cashew Mayo, my own Blackened Seasoning Blend, to make my version of a Blackened Seitan Salad. I will say that there were tons of recipes for both the mayo and the seasoning blend. But here are my versions.


Cashew Mayo
Ingredients:
2/3 cup raw cashews*
Almond milk, just enough to cover cashews (can use soy milk or water)
1 tsp onion powder
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Sea salt to taste


Directions:
Place all ingredients in food processor and puree until smooth.

*Either soak cashews for about an hour or grind them in a coffee grinder to blend easier.

Blackened Seasoning Blend
Ingredients:
3 1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp of the following: sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne powder, black pepper, white pepper, thyme, oregano, chili powder

Directions:
Mix all spices together. Makes approximately 1/2 cup.

Blackened Seitan Salad
Ingredients:
1 package seitan (or homemade)
1-2 tbsp blackened seasoning blend
2 tbsp red onion, minced
1 recipe cashew mayo

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in bowl and refrigerate approximately 1 hour.

I decided to serve this in a wrap with my Carrot & Cabbage Slaw along with baked sweet potato "fries."
 

The verdict? Wow - this turned out exactly as I'd hoped, if not better. It was very similar to the one made at Whole Foods, but I know exactly what ingredients were used. I was also very impressed with the cashew mayo and will be making this again without a doubt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.