Skip to main content

Leaving Behind Comfort Zones and Day 1 of Philly

Comfort Zones Left Behind
Yesterday was beyond exhausting. Right now it actually seems like it all happened days ago. After the last class of Cathe's Road Trip, we had a farewell brunch at a diner. It was really hard to believe the Road Trip was already over. I had so much fun and am still trying to soak it all in to be honest. This was such a great trip for me on so many levels. It got me WAY out of comfort zones. It was spontaneous from the start. I stayed with people I had not met in person so that honestly could have been a disaster if you think about it. I am so shy and reserved until I really know someone. But in my heart, I really felt that I knew Jessica and Jolene and from the moment I walked through the hotel door, it was like just re-connecting with old friends. Fantastic feeling to be honest. So any reservations I might have had disappeared immediately. It was also fun meeting new Catheletes and a forum member as well (we do a check in called Crazy Strong and Loving It).

Jessica and Jolene
Me and forum friend Melissa

Then there was the mad-crazy workout schedule that would scare even the most seasoned workout fanatic! But it was so much fun and so incredible to be honest. How could it not be fun taking a class or two, or three......from Cathe? It was worth every blasted jumping jack, plyo move, step move, mambo, lateral raise, or low-end pulse lunge.
Me, Cathe, and Jessica Saturday night
Jessica, Me, Jolene Saturday night before heading to dinner
Fellow Catheletes
Jessica and me before a workout (I think this was the first class of Saturday)
Jolene and Jessica before a workout (I think this was the first class of Saturday)

Me meeting Cathe at lunch on Saturday


Philadelphia - Day 1
Jason picked me up to head to Philadelphia. Our friend, Brian, who Jason was staying with, road up with him and we all went to Philly together and just wandered around for a while before deciding to park it at a bar for some appetizers and a much-needed cold one.
Brian's fiancee had to take care of something in Baltimore, then she drove into town to meet up with us a bit later. I will admit to being not the best company in the world. I was getting grumpy from exhaustion. I felt so bad for being in a less than cheerful mood too. We don't get to see them often and I hated to spoil the evening. We ended up having dinner at a place called the Nodding Head Brewery. I had checked the site out previously because they were supposed to have vegetarian and vegan dishes. I felt like a kid in a candy store to be quite honest. I almost never get to have more than one menu option. I spotted a grilled veggie sandwich and quickly realized I didn't have to settle for that. I had at least 4 other options to choose from. I absolutely cannot describe how ecstatic I was. Jason was so nice and ordered the vegan burger while I ordered the vegetarian chili so that I could try more than one dish. Now that's a real man!


We did start with some appetizers: white beans & sage, bruschetta, and the boys had some baked mac & cheese (the pic was horrible). I had the chili which was full of veggies like carrots, zucchini, and squash. It was fantastic actually. The vegan burger was also really tasty.



After dinner, we walked around some more. We finally ended up at a place called Caribou Cafe for a glass of wine. It was a really quaint spot with outside seating - and a perfect evening for sitting outside.
This has been one of the fullest trips I think I have ever been on. Right now I am resting the tired feet before we head back out. I am trying to catch up on your posts. I feel so behind right now. I don't normally ask you all do to do things like tell me your favorite part of your weekend or the best thing you did or ate, but I want to know! Tell me what's up please. Did you have a good weekend even if you weren't traveling?

Comments

  1. Awesome post! I'm so glad you got out of your comfort zone - selfishly, of course. ;) And I think its actually really good for you to get out of that comfort zone, pushing yourself to do new things. It isn't always easy to do (let's be honest, it's never easy!) but I'm proud of you for getting out there and trying it!! Sounds like you are having a great rest of your trip, well-deserved!!!
    PS Love the pics, heh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy for you! I am with you on getting outside of your comfort zone. I am really trying to focus on that myself! Meeting people in person that you never met before, but talk to on a regular basis is scary, but fun! I did some Cathe boot camp in honor of your trip this morning and wished I was there this past weekend! I love that you met her! What memories you have now! Get some rest and I hope you are having a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a full trip indeed! I get grumpy when I am exhasted too. Looks like an amazing trip though. Hope your catching up on some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you had a great weekend. You deserve it for all you do and share with us.

    My favorite part of this weekend was spending time with my hubby. Big surprise I know, LOL. I made a seitan and mushroom goulash that Dan loved so that would be the favorite meal from this weekend.

    talk to you soon,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so impressed with all of your travel posts! A trip seems to throw me off from regular posting for months apparently ;) Glad you are having a nice time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, and I'm so happy for you! I'm hoping I'll feel this great after Healthy Living Summit. I won't be working out aside from a yoga class, but the whole meeting and staying with people you don't know will definitely be a part of it.

    I'm so proud of you for getting out of your comfort zone! Thanks for the updates and pics.

    Oh, and I totally know what you mean about being ecstatic at a restaurant like that. For those of us who don't have vegan or vegetarian restaurants where we live it is such a treat!

    Get some rest and enjoy the rest of your time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you had fun!! Things like that definitely push me out of my comfort zone too, but then I'm so glad that I did them in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool opportunity!!! I am going to check out some of her DVD's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww! love your post and that you got out of a comfort zone - it IS so hard to do and I give you a ton of credit for diving right in!! And, we DID have a blast, so that definitely helps! I had so much fun getting to know you more in person, and lots of laughs, of course too. Great pics, too, and I bet you were glad at more food options!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to say thank you all for your super sweet comments. I have been reading all of them, just don't have the time to separately comment right now. I really appreciate your support and enthusiasm. It means so much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE that shirt in the last picture!!! Seriously, where did you get it??
    Also, all of the eats look great! I love all of the vegetarian options that they have. Honestly, it must be hard to go out to eat being vegetarian sometimes, only because like you said before they sometimes put meat, or fat/ lard in SO many dishes that you might now know what your eating.
    So glad you had a nice time :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been enjoying reading all of your trip posts. I think I cried the first time I went to a vegan restaurant and could order anything off the menu. I'm not kdding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's official. I want your arms:)

    You look great in these pics, glowing in fact!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.