This morning I got up at 5:22 to get my workout done. It was at least a bearable 74 degrees upstairs that early as opposed to 85 in the afternoon. I did drop sets again for back and chest doing 4 sets of 8 reps. I did increase the weights from last week as well.
Single-arm rows (all right side then all left side)
Single-arm horizontal rows (all right side then all left side)
Incline chest flyes
Incline dumbbell chest press
Flat bench dumbbell chest press (failed at 7 on the 2nd set, failed at 6 on the 3rd set)
Sometimes I experience major weakness in my left elbow. It doesn't hurt, it just wants to buckle and give out. Thankfully, Jason got out of bed to spot me this morning (bleary-eyed of course).
I wanted to talk briefly about hitting failure. It's probably not the best term to use. I used to get so angry at myself when I couldn't complete the number of reps intended. I thought of myself literally as a failure, I sucked, I was weak...insert any number of negative comments here. However, I realized that it is the quality not the quantity.
There are times when I would prefer being able to increase my weights and only being able to hit 6 out of 7 reps rather than just sticking with the lower weights that I know I can crank out the reps with. So while I noted that I hit failure, I was going with heavier weights and that was more important to me. It means that (to me at least) that I'm getting stronger. Sometimes failure is really success. So don't be afraid to fail!
Moving on...I followed up the weights with three combos from Cathe Friedrich's Kick, Punch, and Crunch and called it quits. I am officially done with workouts for the day. Woohoo! While I dread getting up early to workout, it's so worth it when I make it happen.
Fun Facts Friday - 5 for 5
Dawn @ Florida Coastal Cooking passed this along to me the other day (thanks girl!), and I thought it would do quite nicely for Fun Facts Friday. It's called 5 Answers for 5 Questions.
1.) What was on your To-Do list today:
- Weights and short cardio
- Pick up dogs from groomer
- Make pizza for Pizza Friday
- RELAX (and enjoy Pizza Friday)
- Greek yogurt with blueberries, almonds, cinnamon, and teensy bit of stevia
- Apples with string cheese or peanut butter (love, but almost makes me hungrier)
- Hummus (any dipping device will do)
- Kashi cereal (just by the handful no need to dirty bowls)
- Rice cake with almond butter (heaven)
Sorry, only 4 & I am apparently drawn to "A" states
- Hot Springs, AR (home town)
- Alexander, AR (during college with cousin)
- Auburn, AL (long story)
- Little Rock, AR (where I call home)
This one was hard; only came up with 3 'cause I can't remember 5 days ago let alone 5 years ago:
- Working on my MA (ugh, tons of research)
- Working at a job I hated (boo)
- Enjoying ballet classes still (before I got too old to deal with the teenagers)
- Pay off all debt
- Buy my sister a home (next door to me of course)
- Buy a beach house (or 2)
- Donate (not just saying this to look good either, promise)
- Finally buy new vehicles (mine is a 2001 and Jason's is a 2000)
So, I'm supposed to pass this along of course:
Eden @ Eden's Eats
Madeline @ Greens and Jeans
Laura @ B Foxy Fitness Nichole @ Live for the Run
Kat @ Bubblegum Gym Kat
You know that I fully expect everyone to participate though right? So give me either 5 answers for 1 questions or 1 answer for 5 questions. And....Go.
Sorry for the pictureless post. It'll be Pizza Friday unless something crazy happens. I'll be back tomorrow with pretty pictures ;-P Now log off and enjoy your night!