Skip to main content

Hemming, Hawing, then a 5-mile Run

It sounds like everyone enjoyed my birthday story yesterday. It'll be fun to one day tell my nephew that story. I am so very blessed to have my sister. My mom always said that she had us for each other. It's a good thing we truly love each other!

Hemming and Hawing
Today was rainy, stormy, and downright dreary. I even worked through lunch to avoid having to get out in it. I was due for a rest day (either today or tomorrow). I decided that I would wait and see how I felt by the end of the day. I have gotten used to splitting up my workouts and was not really enjoying the idea of a long cardio session. Since I was leaving earlier because of working through lunch, I decided I would go ahead and do a 40-minute premix from Step Blast. That one is always fun and still gets my heart rate up there.

When I walked out of the office, the sun was shining. What? When did that happen. That's when the debate started in my head: Do I really want to workout inside? It's sunny, but I don't want to wait for Jason to get home to run. I could go run errands and enjoy a run outside tomorrow. But I wasn't sure what Jason's workout plans were. Oh decisions. I ended up running a very pleasant (yes, I said pleasant) 5-mile, solo run. Truth be told, I could have easily done 6 I was feeling so good. I won't go so far as to say runner's high, but I definitely felt much better after the run. I feel like I was able to clear my head a bit.

In the Kitchen (sort of)
I did have a few orders for some doggy treats to get done. The working through lunch thing today worked out great for me. I was able to get in a good run with plenty of time to do the treat baking finishing it all by 5:30. Love it when things fall into place like that.

I will say that after running then baking, my energy level finally took a nose dive. I had absolutely no desire to make dinner. I was starving, but so unmotivated. Jason suggest a "Chicken" salad. I wasn't sure if he meant "chicken" ON a salad or "chicken" salad as in the mayo type. He meant the mayo type sans the mayo. As a side I suggested an Apple Cranberry Quinoa to go with his Balsamic "Chicken" Salad Sandwiches. I do apologize for the lack of exact amounts. Jason did the cooking; I just logged the ingredients.

Balsamic "Chicken" Salad 
Ingredients:
1 package vegetarian/vegan chicken substitute of your choice (e.g., Meal Starters, Quorn, seitan)
Dijjon mustard
Shallots
To taste: Sea salt, ground black pepper, white pepper, red pepper
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Nutritional yeast flakes 
Kalamata olives, finely diced
1-2 pepperoncini, diced
1/4 red onion, minced
1 Roma tomato, diced

Directions:
In large bowl, whisk together Dijjon mustard, shallots, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and spices.

Heat or cook the "chicken" substitute then add that along with nutritional yeast flakes, olives, pepperoncini, and onions to the vinaigrette and let set for at least 30 minutes.

You can serve this over a bed of lettuce or as a sandwich with lettuce or spinach and tomatoes.

Apple Cranberry Quinoa
Ingredients:
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup water or vegetable broth
1/2 Granny Smith apple, diced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
Apple cider vinegar
Agave nectar (to taste)
Pinch of sea salt

Directions:
Cook quinoa according to directions. We did add in dried shallots, garlic powder, and sea salt while cooking.

In mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Allow to set if you have time as the flavors meld over time. 

I will admit that this was a messy sandwich. Jason put his in a wrap, which is what I'd suggest as well. I had meant to add toasted walnuts to the quinoa, so that's something to remember for the next time I make it. 

Comments

  1. That salad sounds so refreshing. I desperately need to get a good workout in STAT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 20, 2010

    hemming and hawing would be great pet names... it is so true that workouts make you feel better!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousMay 20, 2010

    We had rain and sun, rain and sun, all day today! Sometimes both at the same time!

    You are the queen of creative quinoa dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mustard and nutritional yeast! that would be so 'cheesy' .. im gonna start using up some of my nutritional yeast and mixing it with mustard next time. thanks for the idea!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the sun came out so you could get in a run. Being outside when the weather is nice always helps me to clear my head.

    I like the sound of the sauce on the sandwich. I have not tried adding nut yeast to vinaigrette before. I might have play around with that. Thanks for sharing. ;-)

    talk to you tomorrow,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are Miss Quinoa..I love it and that Jason cooks..that is a bonus, trust me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your food always looks so darn yummy!!!
    I hem and haw alot too! They would make cute pet names:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Krystina @ Organically Me It was really a nice flavor combo. It works really well with wheat berries too.

    Katherine @ What About Summer LOL you're so right about the pet names!

    Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg Thanks girl! I'm bound and determined to find one that Jason really likes LOL. I love it and it's so easy. Gotta love those rain/sun/rain days.

    Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel LOL - let me know how it turns out!

    Alicia @ Vegan Epicurean I'm not sure how much of a difference the nutritional yeast made. I just suggested that he add it. You know I couldn't keep my hands out of dinner completely! ;-)

    Averie @ Loves Veggies and Yoga Oddly enough, he used to be the main cook of the house!

    Simple Daisy Thank you very much for the compliment. I appreciate it a great deal. I think rainy days are conducive to hemming and hawing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousMay 21, 2010

    I like the idea of adding dried cranberries to quinoa. I've only ever cooked quinoa plain, but it'd be nice to use a tangy and sweet addition. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. AnonymousMay 21, 2010

    Nicely done on your run last night! I can't believe you wouldn't call that runner's high if you could keep on running after you hit the 5 mile mark! That's a sign of a great run if you ask me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousMay 21, 2010

    don't you love when a run gives you clarity and clearness? love that feeling too.....hopefully i will get it tonight when i run :) happy friday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who do you make dog treats for?

    Those recipes sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still have tried to make quinoa- but after looking @ your recipe..I might just have to do that :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha I can definitely relate to not being able to make up my mind about workouts! It takes me forever to decide if I should do it and what I should do.

    The quinoa salad looks great! I love incorporating fruits into my meals, but no one else in my family does. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have some red quinoa to use up and I bet that would work for the salad as well! I can't wait to test it out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. AnonymousMay 21, 2010

    The apple and cranberry quinoa sounds so good! I love finding new ways to use quinoa. This is great!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eh messy sandwiches are the BEST!
    That apple and cranberry quinoa sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa @ Lisa's Foods on the Move Thanks so much for stopping by. I look forward to checking out your blog. I love to add lots of flavors to my quinoa. Raisins are good too.

    Jessica @ EatDrinkBreatheSweat I guess I was thinking of a runner's high as, well, a high feeling. I thought I had just hit my stride is all LOL

    Kalli @ Fit and Forty Something Hope you get in a good run too girl! Happy Friday to you!

    Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza Thanks girl. I make treats for my pups but also to sell.

    Holly @ Greek Yogurt and Apple Slices You should try it at least once. It's so easy and healthy too.

    Chelsea @ The Healthy Munchkin I'm usually not quite so bad at trying to figure it out since I do have weights planned out in a rotation. But it was just up in the air about resting or not, running or step. LOL. Honestly, I used to not be a big fan of fruits in my meals.

    Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries I have not tried the red quinoa yet. Let me know how the dish turns out.

    Thanks Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian . I like trying to find new ways to use it too. It's so versatile!

    Dawn @ Healthy San Diego Living Messy sandwiches are kind of fun aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YUMMM I love quinoa! It is the best grain ever :)

    What is Quorn? I am learning so many new things lately. I just fond out what polenta was! haha!

    Your dinner looks fab and sometimes sloppy dinners are the best!

    I hope the weather is staying nice for you this weekend?

    XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kris @ iheartwellness Here's a link for Quorn . It's non-soy based, but is not vegan. I do believe the weather is supposed to be great all weekend! Very happy about that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. ahh with sandwiches..the messier, the better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That chicken salad sounds absolutely divine!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Naomi @ One Fit Foodie I guess that's why Sloppy Joes are so popular ;-)

    Thanks Erica @ Fashion Meets Food ! I thought it was pretty good too. The dried cranberries and/or apples would have been a great addition as an option as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.