Skip to main content

Steppin' Out of Comfort Zones

As much as I hate to admit it, I am pretty conservative. I WANT to express myself more. I want to be the hip chic. Alas, I'm typically the shy girl often misunderstood as being  standoffish or snobby. I'm really anything but. I have a hard time with self-confidence. Don't you dare compliment me. I won't believe you.

I'm much better in small groups or one-on-one with close friends. Then, I can be more myself. Whatever that really is. After reading a recent post from a fellow blogger, I got inspired. She, and her sister, are going for their Group Kick certifications. They're taking steps toward new goals, even if they aren't 100% certain. You really can't ever be 100% certain about anything though right? So, I think it's time to step out of my comfort zones (yes, plural). Silly things, but here is a list of things that I want to try (or wear). I'm sure it will grow when I really think on it. Some can happen today, some I've tried, some I promise to try:
  • Hats. Yes, I want to wear a hat. Sounds silly, but I see people wearing them and they look really cute. I always want to wear hats. I also think I look stupid in them. I let myself buy a hat yesterday and today I wore the hat. Yes, I thought people were staring at me, but my sister's first comment was, "Cute hat." All's good.
  • Skinny Jeans. When I was dancing (ballet) seriously, my legs were so much bigger. Skinny jeans were not an option. Now that they have trimmed down, I can wear those sexy skinny jeans with my knee-high suede boots! It took me a while to actually wear them out of the house, but I do now. I am still a little self-conscious, but I'm working on that part.
  • Scarves. My sister convinced me to get a scarf, not the type for cold weather purposes of course. Totally decorative. I thought that meant she had been wearing one. Nope. It was a ploy. If I could pull it off, then she'd try. Well, I now have 4. Love them. Super cute way to accessorize!
  • Certification for Personal Trainer or Group Fitness Instructor. Ok, this one won't happen today or tomorrow. It's definitely on my REALLY WANT TO list though. I just need to come up with the funds and just do it. Plain and simple.
As I promised myself, I wore the hat all day today. I also wore some skinny jeans and my sex-kitten boots (though hubby didn't capture full outfit). I thought the scarf might be overkill.


What do you do to step out of your comfort zones?

Comments

  1. Great post (and btw, you can TOTALLY pull off skinny jeans! Bet they look great!) - and dorky me, excited you mentioned our Group Kick training! Can't believe it is on Friday...I know Jess (and I probably will too) will recap it all on the blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that my post inspired this one, in some small shape or form. You can totally tackle a group fitness instruction class! Any Cathlete can, I'm pretty sure of it. Also, agree with my sister that you totally can pull of skinny jeans and that hat is super cute!! Even I haven't tried either of those fads for the very same reason you note above, so you're one step ahead of me there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jolene and Jessica !!! So if I go for a certification, will you guys be putting on skinny jeans and hats???!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute outfit!!

    I know what you mean about being mistaken for a snob-- I'm pretty shy in big groups too, and I think sometimes it gets mistaken for snobbery or being stuck-up. :-( I also do much, much better with smaller, intimate gatherings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna , I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way! My sister is like that too actually. It's really a shame that we get misjudged. I swear it's like I am 2 totally different people in large vs small groups!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sure - I'll give skinny jeans AND a hat a whirl if you sign up for a certification. Do we have a deal???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love in Photos

In honor of Valentine's Day - Love in Photos Husband Family and Furbabies Friends Even if you're not a fan of Valentine's Day - I hope you have a wonderful day and remember the loves in your life.

I Run to Feel Alive

Today is National Running Day . Guess what I did this morning? Cycling? Nope. Lifting? Nope. I bet you thought kickboxing right? Nope. Running? But of course! I actually sort of planned my running days this week just so I could participate this year. I didn't get to run last year and didn't even know about it the year before. But running has become such an integral part of my life and who I am, that I couldn't miss this year. Basically, I run to feel alive . It calms me, it helps me work through life, it's often a reason to get out of bed. No matter how tough a run is, it makes you feel ... period. My plan was to get in 5 miles (got in 5.5 actually). It was about 10 degrees warmer this morning and definitely more humid. That always makes for a tougher run. We decided to take a different route today. Well, it was really only a few streets over different, but still. The point is we took a different street. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not. I did realize th

Vacation Day 2 - Running, Reading, Relaxing

Running This morning I woke up a bit before 7 am. Of course, we had gone to sleep by 9....on vacation no less. I had thought I might try for an outdoor run, but the temps were already a humid 83 degrees by 8 am. So, I took my run to the treadmill. I had the Food Network to keep me occupied for a pretty decent 5 mile run. Running and watching tv isn't so bad ;-) I did 3 miles, then 4 1:00 athletic intervals then finished up another mile to round it out to and even 5. After stretching and rolling (yep, brought my TriggerPoint kit ), we packed up the cooler with lunch and headed down to the beach. Not a bad way to start the day if you ask me. Beach Time & Stair Cardio We set up our little umbrella camp and proceeded to just relax. I was excited to start one of the books I brought along with me: Alice Sebold's The Almost Moon . I've read her memoir, Lucky , and her first work of fiction, The Lovely Bones . . We were out for a few hours before taking a break.